Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Average life span of new or rebuilt motors (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/average-life-span-new-rebuilt-motors-86762/)

dtmbinb 11-06-2017 05:27 PM

I did new coils, plugs, wires, oem cooling hoses, oem 180 thermostat, Nissens radiator, coolant reservoir with cap, new oem flexplate, acc belt, belt tensioner, idler pulleys, motor mounts, crank position sensor, coolant temp sensors, etc. The Turner long block will ship with a new water pump, front cover, and all gaskets and cam lube. You will need new exhaust gaskets and studs after the manifolds. You should also do an HD fan clutch and new fan blade as well. Mine were less than a year old, so they were like new. If I had it to do over, I'd do a new starter at the same time. Remanufactured starters run $100. New front O2 sensors would be a good idea as well. Follow the break in procedures carefully to protect the new cam and seat the piston rings. Do it once and do it right was/is my motto. Good luck!

Tomzsix 11-06-2017 06:17 PM

What about intake parts??

dtmbinb 11-06-2017 06:36 PM

New air filter and cleaned the maf. That's about all I did. The long block comes with new heads and you reuse your valve covers.

Jason_B 06-26-2018 11:09 AM

Any updates or shared wisdom for someone looking to do the Turner engine replacement? Thanks.

Originally Posted by dtmbinb (Post 625043)
I did new coils, plugs, wires, oem cooling hoses, oem 180 thermostat, Nissens radiator, coolant reservoir with cap, new oem flexplate, acc belt, belt tensioner, idler pulleys, motor mounts, crank position sensor, coolant temp sensors, etc. The Turner long block will ship with a new water pump, front cover, and all gaskets and cam lube. You will need new exhaust gaskets and studs after the manifolds. You should also do an HD fan clutch and new fan blade as well. Mine were less than a year old, so they were like new. If I had it to do over, I'd do a new starter at the same time. Remanufactured starters run $100. New front O2 sensors would be a good idea as well. Follow the break in procedures carefully to protect the new cam and seat the piston rings. Do it once and do it right was/is my motto. Good luck!

Sixpack577 06-26-2018 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jason_B (Post 652632)
Any updates or shared wisdom for someone looking to do the Turner engine replacement? Thanks.

I have no personal experience with Turner, and just did a complete rebuild of my 4.6 for around $2k in parts, vs $7k+ for a Turner.
I read and here great things about Turner.
But, for the money, I'de rather spend $10k to Trailhead or Lucky8, and get a Chevy LS conversion. Turn key install, and retains all stock features like traction control.

dtmbinb 06-26-2018 12:00 PM

It has been about 1 year and 10,000 miles. Runs great. No leaks, no codes, no headaches. I am very pleased with the Turner 4.6.

Tomzsix 11-24-2020 06:23 PM

So, after one year, I absolutely love my Turner Engine. Quicker off the line. Keeps cool. I actually look forward to travelling 200 plus miles. Yes, it cost money, but not more than other rebuilds.

Jason_B 11-25-2020 10:06 AM

Same here. Did Turner long block with upgraded cams and everything is running smooth.

Initially had some high temps but switched to inline mod and they came down quite a bit. Still slightly high temps when it is 100f+ and I need to drive up a mountain.
Idle is a little bumpy as well. Not sure if this is the upgraded cam or if I can resolve this. Working slowly on new plugs, wires and coil packs and also finding any exhaust leaks.

All in all, the engine is running great. Probably have about 15k miles on it over 2 years.

Art H 11-25-2020 07:36 PM

I have an AB top hatted engine in my truck.. About 20,000 miles in and it's been great. The only issues were with the installer. Atlantic British went out of their way to make sure everything was right.

huggi 11-25-2020 09:35 PM

I would consider a turner top hat liner block for 1750 GBP, do you own bearings and piston rings etc. Probably come in under 3k USD total

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/...ou-c2x20634976