Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average life span of new or rebuilt motors

Old 11-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Average life span of new or rebuilt motors

Now I need to find and to fund a new or rebuilt engine for my Discovery 2. Does anyone have a "Atlantic British" motor review?? Diesel conversion review?? Any engine review?? I have plenty of down time, unfortunately. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Old 11-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know about the AB engines, but mine has 300000 km on all stock internals.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Mine runs fine so no personal experience with any particular swap. After lots of reading though, if I were to do it for the long term, I'd get a long block from Turner. AB's look nice, and probably are, but a bit expensive IMO. Diesel would be cool but switching all of the electronics would be more trouble than it's worth for me.

If I just wanted to get it back on the road for a few more years, I'd buy the best used unit I could find.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:07 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Why not rebuild what you have?

Old 11-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Why not rebuild what you have?
precisely

Old 11-04-2017, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I love my Turner long block. Best choice in my opinion. Buying it complete from them should assure it was all assembled correctly with quality parts. Logistically it's also much easier than having liners installed at a machine shop that knows what they are doing and ordering all the parts. It arrives ready to install. I thoroughly researched and priced all options. It really isn't that much more expensive once you add all the parts you need to order to do a rebuild correctly. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

My original 4.0L with 230K on it in my 02 Kalahari runs awesome and I think it's got many many more miles ahead of it. The key to any engine is proper maintenance & if it's rebuilt the quality of the work.

The 04 D2 I recently bought was apparently rebuilt right at 100K. It runs smooth, and super cool (to cool in fact as it will set a P0126 fault code for not reaching normal operating temps fast enough...). They did a good job on the head gaskets, cooling system, and even changed out the front timing cover, but they DID NOT go just a little bit deeper into it, and change out the lower end bearings..... At idle under 1,000K RPM's it'll trip the oil pressure warning light.

I tore it down quickly and swapped out the front timing cover, and inspected the pickup tube/O-Ring and it'll still trip the oil pressure light. I've even swapped sensors. It doesn't knock at all, and sounds excellent without a single tick or knock. When I get time I'm going to tear into it again, replace the lower end bearings (crank & connecting rod bearings). If that doesn't fix it I'll drive it till she blows. It's a good solid truck otherwise with an excellent interior/exterior.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling

My engine was supposed to have been rebuilt 5 years ago. I think the shop just gave me a used engine with problems, and called it good. I believe it was set up to fail, repeatedly. A reputable mechanic says the block is cracked, though no inspection just speculation. So, I want to start over. With the right shop, I believe the turner, then, is the right way to go.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:26 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

So I believe there is no average life span on these engines but plenty have over 200K and they are still strong. A lot of discos when they came out new went into some sort of early service campaign in which they had to fix or change the engine. One of my trucks had 2 service campaign stickers and now dead again with 180k miles but still can be driven, the rest have none and runs very strong. Well, I got a 4.6/p38 engine which will serve as a replacement. I'll throw in some new parts and go from there.
In most cases its also maintenance and driving habits. Cheers!

Old 11-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling

The consensus is in; I will save up for a "Turner motor"-long block. What do I need to transfer from my motor to the new one?? Can I get a new wiring loom for the engine compartment??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Average life span of new or rebuilt motors