Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby Car Seats in Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Baby Car Seats in Disco

I have an 03 Disco that my wife drives every day. We now have our first child on the way and my wife is not sure how "friendly" the Disco will be with baby car seats. She is right under 5 ft tall, so she is already fairly short. She does not think it will be easy to load / unload the baby from the car seat. Does anyone care to share their experience in regards to her height and ease of loading / unloading the baby from the car seat?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Mudding

Well, when i was in the market for a disco, nearly every truck i went and looked at were people who were getting rid of them due to this problem. Its a bit akward for adults getting in the rear due how the wheel arches and doorway come together. Bummer, but i doubt its good for unloading kids and all.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a D1 with a lift kit so its pretty high up and when i loaded my son in his car seat in it i didnt really have any issues... its a high lift to make with the weight of the kid and the seat and i had his seat right behind the drivers seat so i had to move my seat forward and lean it up... i'm 5'8" but i have really long legs...

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have 2 boys, ages 3 and 4, both in car seats. The Disco will hold forward facing car seats fine, but I imagine a rear-facing car seat will be a tight fit and a real chore to hoist in and out.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You just got a Disco brother.
Your wife will want something different, it is almost impossible to lift a rear facing carseat in and out of the truck.
And with the seat being in the middle of the back seat (where it is supposed to be) makes it even worse.
I am all of 5'5" and I hated lifting the baby seat in and out and my truck is NOT lifted.
She will have to lift the seat in, then climb into the truck and latch it into its base.
Buy her a nice used Volvo station wagon and you will not regret it.
It will be kid friendly, wife friendly and safe as all get out.
We have one and will never own any other car.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey i love putting the kids in my disco, its way better than trying to get them into my two door accord. it's all relative to what you're used to.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Overlanding

I'm in the same boat. Our son will be along in August and my 03 Disco is going to be the wife's mode of transportation now. I was worried she would have a hard time getting him in and out but when we had our nieces for a few days she said it was fine extracting the kids, even in the rain. Wife is 5'6" and the Disco is not lifted.

I'd love to buy a Volvo wagon, especially those cross country ones but they aren't cheap.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

man my brother had a saab 9-5 turbo station wagon... it was so awesome, but his wife made him get ride of it because she thought it wasn't cool or whatever... she just didnt understand how cool it really was...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I got 5 kids, and no, Disco's aint very newborn friendly. Once they face forward,different story

Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Do you guys think that most vehicles are "difficult" with having to use the rear facing car seats? If most are just as difficult, then I may as well hang onto the Disco and deal with the rear facing car seats for about a year...

Quick Reply: Baby Car Seats in Disco