Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back Door will NOT open!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:47 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Door will NOT open!

Don't know what is going on. It is a '99 Disco 2. It was working just fine and now it does not. You can hear the lock actuate with the remote. The outside handle feels like it does not depress quite all the way, and the interior handle seems to go to end of travel freely - no resistance at all. I suspect it has to be the latch mechanism itself, because I can hear the lock working, and I would think if it were a handle, that one or the other would still work. I tried everything I could think of, pushing from outside to make sure it was latched all the way, pushing from inside - seemed fruitless since the handle appeared to do nothing.

So - Is this a common problem? how do you get into that door if you cannot get it open? all of those interior panels look suspiciously like you need the door open to get into them!

HELP!!! I imagine this would be a BIG bill at the dealership.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Send me your tele number and I'll walk you thru this.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me too, but I was able to open from the inside. I spray lubed everything I could get to and have no problems since.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

try holding the lock in the unlock position while opening the door fromt he outside. (2 people obviously)

Sometimes if the actuator goes bad, it will sound like it is working, but not actually unlock, plus if your child lock is engaged, it wont open from the inside.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Pop the LR emblem off and spray the latch and handle with silicon spray, soak it well and work the handle.
This is very common and 90% of the time it is a hadle that needs lubed.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Pop the LR emblem off and spray the latch and handle with silicon spray, soak it well and work the handle.
This is very common and 90% of the time it is a hadle that needs lubed.

This what needs to be done.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think he has a D1, not a D2 like he said. I also think it is the lock spring that has busted. I could be totally wrong, though.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the post on the frame side is high, it will cause this problem as well. You need to either beat on the area above the outside latch with a rubber mallet then try opening or push up on the door while trying the latch or both.

I believe the problem can be solved by adjusting the post.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 AM
8th Gear
Default It was the exterior Handle

Special thanks to Disco Mike! You rule! Thanks to all the other who chimed in as well. I used some spray grease I had on hand to free it up. Now good to go! lso sold th Blazer, and got the pick up running. All I need to do is find the leak and it will be a quite successful few days! It is a D2. I have ammended my signature in order to prevent this debate in the future.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
pgk
Three Wheeling
Default Help!!!

I have the same problem! I had just started to drive and the inside light was on. I had my son open and close the pasenger door and all was fine. When we got home we could not get the door open. Nothing I do helps. Somebody, anybody help!!

thanks!

PG

Originally Posted by tgwaldop
Don't know what is going on. It is a '99 Disco 2. It was working just fine and now it does not. You can hear the lock actuate with the remote. The outside handle feels like it does not depress quite all the way, and the interior handle seems to go to end of travel freely - no resistance at all. I suspect it has to be the latch mechanism itself, because I can hear the lock working, and I would think if it were a handle, that one or the other would still work. I tried everything I could think of, pushing from outside to make sure it was latched all the way, pushing from inside - seemed fruitless since the handle appeared to do nothing.

So - Is this a common problem? how do you get into that door if you cannot get it open? all of those interior panels look suspiciously like you need the door open to get into them!

HELP!!! I imagine this would be a BIG bill at the dealership.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Quick Reply: Back Door will NOT open!