Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014 | 12:13 PM
|
Mudding
Default Is this bad?

Ive been getting some wobble/vibrations from my truck. The worst is a pretty strong steering wheel wobble around 40-50 mph, happens under all conditions at that speed. The truck has always done this to some extent since I bought it about a year ago. I have noticed it start to get worse recently.

Things that have been done that could have an effect:
-New U-joints/Centering ball in front driveshaft, unsure if shop balanced it...
-Tires were balanced last fall, however tires have some cupping and I seemed to notice the wobble was worse after a recent rotation.
-Adjusted play in steering box

Anyway here is the video...

There is none of this play in the track bar.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Last edited by james.martin1; 07-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2014 | 12:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You may have a bad wheel hub/bearing. When you jack the tire up and try grabbing the tire on the top and bottom and move the wheel. Is there play?

The best way to check for worn tie rod ends is to remove the tire and move the rotor side to side and look for play in the knuckle and tie rod end. This video will help explain what I'm talking about.

Old 07-19-2014 | 08:31 PM

Another good test on a D2 is for the wife or assistant to sit at the steering wheel, turn the ignition to #2 without starting the truck and get them to rotate the steering wheel back and forth 2-3 inches each way. This is best done on a flat, level concrete garage floor which is good and grippy on the tires. Whilst doing this crawl underneath and wrap your hand around each tie rod/drag link end and ball joint and you can feel the movement (or not). To finally confirm the problem use a mechanics stethoscope on each knuckle whilst the wife/assistant continues to oscillate the steering wheel. This confirms any clicks or rattles at each point including the steering upper and lower ball joints. You can also use the latter on the wheel bearings for noise or movement if you jack and support them slightly off the ground. Whilst doing all this it's worth checking for any slack/movement in the Panhard rod bushes using a pry bar. Worn Panhard rod bushes cause the truck to shimmy or wander also and does worn Watts linkage bushes.

Old 07-19-2014 | 10:41 PM
TReK

We had that in our D1.
Panhard bushings.
Replace with only poly

Old 07-19-2014 | 10:43 PM
TReK

You should also check the pitman arm off the steering box.
And believe it or not, the steering box can get loose from the frame. Tighten it down.

Yes, have the wife take the wheel and back and forth rapidly about 90 degree twists back and forth.

You'll see the play with your plain eyes.
Look at everything for wobble including the steering box and all the linkage.

You'll see a pretty good problem where motion is not transferring.

Old 07-20-2014 | 08:10 AM
|
Mudding

Thanks for the tips guys, i'll check out the panhard bushings. I have looked under the truck while somebody moved the wheel, and can see that there is a good amount of play in the steering box. When I adjusted the play with the adjustment screw and it did not seem to help much. Is it possible my steering box is toast? I also checked for play in the front wheels with the front raised and I couldn't notice any play.

Old 07-20-2014 | 09:03 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by james.martin1
Thanks for the tips guys, i'll check out the panhard bushings. I have looked under the truck while somebody moved the wheel, and can see that there is a good amount of play in the steering box. When I adjusted the play with the adjustment screw and it did not seem to help much. Is it possible my steering box is toast? I also checked for play in the front wheels with the front raised and I couldn't notice any play.
It sounds like your tires are the source of the wobble, and there may be other items loose that allow it to feel worse. But, try to get the tires taken care of and see what happens.

Old 07-20-2014 | 09:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by SuperSport
It sounds like your tires are the source of the wobble, and there may be other items loose that allow it to feel worse. But, try to get the tires taken care of and see what happens.
Had this similar issue with my 04. Everything was tight underneath and all bushings and bearings where good. Turns out it was the tires getting chopped up since we needed an alignment. New tires up front and balanced the old and moved to the rear. No more wobble.

Old 07-23-2014 | 06:50 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks for the tips guys, it was the tires causing the problems, or atleast most of them. I had my tires balanced after work today and that seems to have fixed the problem, or at least made it good enough for now. All of the tires were badly off balance, and I suspect this was caused by the uneven wear on the tires. I have done a little research and it sounds like cupping is usually caused by bad shocks. Do you think this might be the root of my problems?

I have been thinking of a lift kit but if I raise the truck 2" on top of removing all of the sag in the suspension, and adding larger tires I won't be able to fit in my garage anymore. What are the best options for stock height replacement suspension?

Old 07-23-2014 | 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by james.martin1
Thanks for the tips guys, it was the tires causing the problems, or atleast most of them. I had my tires balanced after work today and that seems to have fixed the problem, or at least made it good enough for now. All of the tires were badly off balance, and I suspect this was caused by the uneven wear on the tires. I have done a little research and it sounds like cupping is usually caused by bad shocks. Do you think this might be the root of my problems?

I have been thinking of a lift kit but if I raise the truck 2" on top of removing all of the sag in the suspension, and adding larger tires I won't be able to fit in my garage anymore. What are the best options for stock height replacement suspension?
I've fitted TF's At's Terrafirma All Terrain Shocks | Shock Absorbers - All Terrain Shocks Accessories for Land Rover Vehicles (TF118 and 119) allround including the steering damper with new Swedish made front springs (can't remember the name - made by Bofors) and new rear airsprings. This combination works fine and being TD5 there is no front spring length bias.

The next urgent job is the Watts linkage bushes. Panhard looks fine although I've bought new bushes.

Quick Reply: Is this bad?