Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad engine knock, am I done for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad engine knock, am I done for?

I have posted here before about a tick noise from the engine at idle. I have since then had the oil pressure checked, exhaust manifolds are not leaking, exhaust flange gaskets are new, lifters were replaced when the head gasket was done. It started off with an intermittant tick, not it is more louder and more frequent now, even worse, the ticking noise seems to change pitch when the engine is accelerating. The noise definitely sounds like it is from the bottom end. I will have the pan removed tomorrow for inspection. If the rod bearings are worn, then I will replace the bearings, but does anyone have any ideas what I should do. I am really trying to love my truck but if it ends up needing a motor at 90k, I'm gonna be pissed, actually the wife will be! I read on another LR forum the bearings might be bad.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are not alone.my truck had a slight knock since the day i bought it.It got worse when i took a 100 mile drive.Disco mike suggested that the outer oil pump gear could be broken so i went a head and droped the sump and remove my timing cover and found the gear in perfect working order. I couldnt think of anything else that would be making a knocking sound from underneat so pulled my engine and its at a local rebuild shop................

does it knock when cold,or when its a normal op temp?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a knock coming from my block. mine ended up being rod bearings were worn.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Mudding

The knock noise happens after the engine is warmed up. I hope my noise is from the rod bearings. I will find out for sure in the next day or two and will update then.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dynomite
i had a knock coming from my block. mine ended up being rod bearings were worn.
Did you end up replacing the rod bearings? Was there any additional work that was needed at the time.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scroll down to the end of this article: http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...-failures.html It will talk about piston knocks. Spray the side of the engine with water (not for too long, you'll crack the block) and see if the noise goes away. If it does, it might be the piston skirts.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by discoboy
The knock noise happens after the engine is warmed up. I hope my noise is from the rod bearings. I will find out for sure in the next day or two and will update then.
Maybe this week ill know whats going on with mine.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Mudding

I had a miss on cylinder 4 and exhaust in my coolant, i was already down to the heads (lots of carbon buildup) so i just went ahead and rebuilt the engine. actually i'm in the process now. yes, i'm replacing rod bearings but i'm not done. you can tell they are worn when you get down to the copper color. i found all 8 rod bearings for around $50.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dynomite
I had a miss on cylinder 4 and exhaust in my coolant, i was already down to the heads (lots of carbon buildup) so i just went ahead and rebuilt the engine. actually i'm in the process now. yes, i'm replacing rod bearings but i'm not done. you can tell they are worn when you get down to the copper color. i found all 8 rod bearings for around $50.
Where are you ordering parts from?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Mudding

www.rovahfarm.com
www.roverparts.com
www.roversnorth.com
www.miamibritish.com
www.partsbin.com

i'm missing a few i'm sure. that's off the top of my head. i got the rod bearings from miamibritish.com, i've discovered rovahfarm.com recently. they seem to have good parts for good prices too. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Bad engine knock, am I done for?