Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad new greaseable U joints?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad new greaseable U joints?

LR Disco 2003 75k

Well I just shot my drive shaft ... I have read numerous posts about this subject so I changed all 3 front U Joints for greaseable u joints 3 weeks ago.

After I changed them at a local shop the guy said everything looks ok you are set for another 75K ..problem came with no prior warning , only 15 seconds before driving at 75 MPH ..a hard vibration then a very loud bang .I took my truck directly to the dealer who said it must have been a bad or defective u joint.

Tranny does not leak and transfer case seems surprisingly ok but need to check again tomorrow I am to angry to try to talk to these guy today. ( law suit is out of the question since these are very long and expensive in Mexico )

Complete drive shaft in Mexico cost 1600 USD ( plus Tax )

Any consolation news or what shoul I espect.

Thanks

Javier

Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Bad new greaseable U joints?

It could have been an improperly installed snap ring. Defective u-joints are pretty rare.
I've rebuilt quite a few and never had a defective u-joint.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to import one from
http://www.roverparts.com/sale/Steer...neR38.cfm#fold

Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like they did not replace the centering ball kit along with the u-joints.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Work shop insists it was a defective U Joint and I guess it is going to be very hard to prove otherwise even do I am shure that he FU. and It was his mistake I should start thinking of importing a new one. ( thanks for the link Ladzu )

Tranny and T Case dont have any Aparent Damage ( incredible ) what should I be looking for to make shure everything is OK.?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are so sure that the u-joint was bad, then why did they install it??!! Make sure you ask them that!

U-joint's are very simple if something was wrong, it should be obvious. It's far more likely they did something wrong (or didn't do the centering ball which makes sense, but still that's too much of a coincidence). It's easy to assemble the shaft and have it bind if something isn't seated properly. That makes me mad and it's not even my truck.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: javoli001

Tranny and T Case dont have any Aparent Damage ( incredible ) what should I be looking for to make shure everything is OK.?
If the casing doesn't look like it was hit at all, there are no leaks and the output shaft spins freely and smoothly with no play or noise, I would say it's okay.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks jkid I am beyond angry now , actually Im depressed because these was my grandfathers truck and my wife is insisting on selling it, Also I have spent a lot of money on it by now ( and now this )

They guy in the work shop is going to make me a proposal ( he said ) that in a way is recognising his mistake right? Ill hear him out but I dont think he is going to pay for a new drive shaft so I am still looking for one. I guess he will say that he will fix it and re install it and I dont think that will work for me any more.

I read at these forum that the drive shaft of a dodge durango is compatible with my Disco that would make things a lot easier , cheaper and faster.

I think that if I can fix my truck fast and cheap my wife would just let me be untill I can bring it back to Tip Top cond.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Drifting

The Dodge Durango driveshaft is an urban legend - it was never a proven direct replacement.

Tom Woods, GBR and Driveshaftsuperstore.com now these are the real deals. I do know DSSstore uses a fully greasable center ball joint. Nice to know all the flex points are lubricated.

Do yourself a favor and replace the roto-flex and the rear ujoint while you are at it. No more worries about the driveshafts. Then ofcourse you'll want to drain/refill the differentials, and the Tcase, and oh, there's the transmission too.

Tell your wife while you yourself may be a "cheap" date the Land Rover cannot be associated with the term... Be Safe, Mark V.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Chief ll Mabe Just talking out of anger I guess ...My wife would go before my Disco trust me. Im getting pretty fund of my car and an ocational let down will not change the fact that these was my grandfathers car and that I love it.

I also Have a 1979 XJ6 Jag with a 89 engine and transmtion and that was an expensive car to bring to tip top cond .. I guess Idont like to sell my cars

Great drive shaft store , ( alrready asked them for a quote ) as long as they are Not OEM. and have grease fittings like Mike says.
I alrready have quotes for 800 and 900 Ill see today If I can Get a better quote to Mexico.

How much is the roto flex ( aprox ) the rear U Joint has been changed already but I dont Know if I should go somewere else to check if everything is OK .... I dont trust these workshop any More. I guess Ill drive straight for a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Bad new greaseable U joints?