Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balpark prices for GBR and Cannibal engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Balpark prices for GBR and Cannibal engine?

I'm trying to put a reasonable budget together for this year but I dont know exactly how much one of these engines cost shipped to New Hampshire. Can someone fill in the gaps? Ive heard both engines are great and Ive concluded from ready many threads that both engines are very similar. Ive only found one or two negative things about Cannibal and nothing bad yet about the Great Basin Rovers plus I gather that GBR offers best warranty. So How much should I expect to spend for one of these engines? I believe I read that you must also replace the oil pump and chain and some other parts to correct? What was the total for the engine and all the engine related parts? Im assuming it would be roughly 7k plus shipping.

I ask because there is a chance that I will be ordering one later this year. Likely Ill have Don Trudeau do the work. Recently I was considering selling the truck and starting over with a southern rust free D2 but Don re-assured me that my chassis is in much better shape than his was in and that it will be an easy fix so my faith is restored.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

7 is a good ballpark.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by dusty1
7 is a good ballpark.
Now do they take your old engines or no? I wish forum members could get a discount on them haha. But good to know and thank you.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my GPR, they removed and overhauled -my- engine. My bill was a bit more than 7 however they did the swap and it included new timing chain cover, etc.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You can call both for the best quote.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

GPR has 3 options:
1. Short block, 1 yr warranty, $5K (I think)
2. Long block, 3 yr warranty, $5,750
3. Long block + front cover & oil pan (oil pump, water pump, etc), 3 yr warranty, $6,500 (I think)

The above prices do not include a $1K core charge, so if you wanted to keep your old engine, you'd have to tack that on. Shipping was free for the new and core return (which was hassle free). I went with #2 and installed the motor myself and did not affect the warranty, which is the real deal. When I thought the RMS was leaking, Mike said "Pick a repair shop and send me the bill"...turned out to be a bad oil pan gasket though. Now I'm moving to Turkey and he'll honor the warranty there as well. Keep trying to find holes in their service but to no avail.

As far as Cannibal goes, I think any bad news you can dig up is pretty old (like 2001-ish). I'm sure they're good, but I'd recommend GPR. If you don't like them for some reason, I'd pick AB or D&D (who manufactures some of the parts Cannibal uses) before I looked at Cannibal! Just my opinion though.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Dan7
GPR has 3 options:
1. Short block, 1 yr warranty, $5K (I think)
2. Long block, 3 yr warranty, $5,750
3. Long block + front cover & oil pan (oil pump, water pump, etc), 3 yr warranty, $6,500 (I think)

The above prices do not include a $1K core charge, so if you wanted to keep your old engine, you'd have to tack that on. Shipping was free for the new and core return (which was hassle free). I went with #2 and installed the motor myself and did not affect the warranty, which is the real deal. When I thought the RMS was leaking, Mike said "Pick a repair shop and send me the bill"...turned out to be a bad oil pan gasket though. Now I'm moving to Turkey and he'll honor the warranty there as well. Keep trying to find holes in their service but to no avail.

As far as Cannibal goes, I think any bad news you can dig up is pretty old (like 2001-ish). I'm sure they're good, but I'd recommend GPR. If you don't like them for some reason, I'd pick AB or D&D (who manufactures some of the parts Cannibal uses) before I looked at Cannibal! Just my opinion though.

Very useful! So if I send them my engine that will cover the core charge and the shipping of both my old engine and the replacement will be free? If so I will probably go with option 3. Now do they detail and paint the engines to if youd like? Ive been pondering having a replacement engine pained a special color. Partly to make it look clean again and so I can more easily spot any future leaks. Its not always easy to spot leaks on a black engine. I was thinking maybe a light blue color or something along those lines.

Zack as far as I know neither company is open on weekends. I already tried GBR today but no answer so I left a message.

Thanks so much Dan7!

Old 01-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Very useful! So if I send them my engine that will cover the core charge and the shipping of both my old engine and the replacement will be free? If so I will probably go with option 3. Now do they detail and paint the engines to if youd like? Ive been pondering having a replacement engine pained a special color. Partly to make it look clean again and so I can more easily spot any future leaks. Its not always easy to spot leaks on a black engine. I was thinking maybe a light blue color or something along those lines.

Zack as far as I know neither company is open on weekends. I already tried GBR today but no answer so I left a message.

Thanks so much Dan7!
Word of warning...don't get a 03-04 rebuilt! These years had all the misaligned coolant ducts and slipped sleeves (to name a few). Putting top hat liners in won't change that, it just deals with the symptoms (may still leak coolant, it'll just be trapped behind the liners). To truly fix the issue, have Mike source and rebuild you a 99-00 Range Rover block. It's the same block (Bosch) but has none of the issues mentioned above and it doesn't cost any more.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Dan7
Word of warning...don't get a 03-04 rebuilt! These years had all the misaligned coolant ducts and slipped sleeves (to name a few). Putting top hat liners in won't change that, it just deals with the symptoms (may still leak coolant, it'll just be trapped behind the liners). To truly fix the issue, have Mike source and rebuild you a 99-00 Range Rover block. It's the same block (Bosch) but has none of the issues mentioned above and it doesn't cost any more.

Can he make the engine compatible with my 04 D2 or will I have to change out the ecu or other parts in the truck to pull it off?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No the engine will work with your model year.

My quote from Cannibal was almost 6grand for the engine and 1700 for the install.

Quick Reply: Balpark prices for GBR and Cannibal engine?