Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery and Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery and Air Suspension

Hey Everybody!

I have two entirely seperate questions. First of all, today I went out to my car and it would not start/horn went off/ lights flickered. Realized I needed a new battery. I am in college, so it had been several days since I had visited my car. Fortunately my girlfriend was with me, so we used her car to jumpstart mine and off to Walmart we went. I got a replacement battery from Walmart, had it installed, and when I started it, the battery light was on. I noticed it had come on right before I dropped the car off as well. It flickered and went off as I drove, but after another quick stop, came back on while driving back to the campus and did not go away. Does anyone know what the cause could be? Alternator? The car has 117,500 miles on it. I know the previous owner well and know for a fact that the alternator has never been replaced.

My second unrelated question was about the air suspension system on the Discovery II's. I am converting mine back, I know many would find this unwise, but I really like the system and would like to be able to utilize it again. My question is, I got the Arnott bags, had them installed, but one side raised to the correct level while the other would not. My very honest and reliable mechanic told me he believes that either a height sensor or the valve block is broken, but the compressor is good. He had reprogrammed the ECU as well. My question is, is the valve block the part inside the compressor box? I saw that roverland parts has used Discovery valve blocks for $95 and am probably going to order one as well as two new sensors, I would rather get everything knocked out at once.

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am willing to bet your first problem is your alternator. I would put a multimeter on it and see what it is putting out.

I do not know enough about the SLS on the D2 but I think you are smart to go back to it, I like it on mine.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would try swaping the SLS hieght sensors on each side. They are not specific to LH or RH. Be careful removing the electric bracket they are tuff to unplug because of road muck and sand. Use a set of needle nose pliers to gently rock the plug back an forth while depressing the release clip.
I did this with my Discovery and it was the height sensor. I got a pair on eBay for under $40 and now I have a backup.

Dave

Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I will be going out to my car again hopefully this afternoon to check on the situation. I will definitely try the height sensors next time I try to switch it, hopefully that is the case. I am also happy for the support on the switch back to SLS, I am looking forward to hopefully getting it back!

Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Rock Crawling

If you end up needed the air bag stuff i have a couple height sensors and the compressor with valve box. it's just sitting and i don't have a use for it.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Thanks khuds308! I am assuming that both your compressor and height sensors work, I would definitely be interested. Let me know if you have a price or anything, I would really appreciate it.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling

all of it was working when i took it off the truck. on roverlandparts.com it goes for something like $400 for all of it, but i don't need that much. make me an offer, like i said it's just sitting in a box.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PLEASE NOTE............ DO NOT disconnect the height sensors with the battery connected, the system is still "live" and the vehicle will lower it self.
So either jack and support the chassis, or remove the battery connections before doing any work on the SLS.