Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Draining Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:12 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Draining Problem

I am picking up a 1999 Discovery II this weekend with 102k miles. Thjere is an issue with the battery draining and i need some ideas where to start. The battery is new. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Couple different things to look into, was it converted from SLS (self leveling suspension) to coil springs in the rear?
If so and the air compressor was not turned off by the dealer it will cycle on and off and kill the battery.
Another issue is the SLABS unit (speed leveling anti lock brake) issue, there was a TSB on it cycling the ABS even with the key off, it is supposed to cycle for upto 10 min after shutting the engine off but it should stop after that.
The TSB (technical service bulletin) was a reprogram for the unit to stop this from happening.
Those are the top 2 issues, other than those it could be a short somewhere.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Drifting
Default Battery draining

I have had the same thing happen to me. As long as I drive the vehicle everyday or every other day, no problems. But if I go more that a couple days without driving, the battery doesn't have enough power to start the truck. I have only had the truck for about 2 months, so still learning. Thanks to everyone on this sight for all the help. Mine has had the spring conversion, but I'm not sure it has been reprogrammed.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 PM
6th Gear

I doubt anything was ever touched with the suspension since I'm buying this from my in-laws....but the anti-lock brake issue seems like something to look into as the anti-light brake light is on on the dash. Not sure what this means, I'm just beginning to dive into this, so any more details would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses so far.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default same here

my daughters 00 does the same thing..had load tested, changed alternator, starter and still afetr 2 days will go dead. I pulled all my SLS fuses and relays and have no ABS lights on. She does have a leak in the roof and am thinking the water could be shorting out something . Wont know till i pull the headliner. Somepne also posted awhile ago about disconnecting the wires for the SLS as could be still causing the drain... Thats my next step....

Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
6th Gear

Thats a good point about the leak. My drivers window is off the track and will not stay up, maybe water got into the door? But is it safe to say that the ABS light and the charging issue are not related? What else could the ABS light mean? Thanks for all the input...really appreciate it.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i dont think so..

Originally Posted by dieseldogpi
Thats a good point about the leak. My drivers window is off the track and will not stay up, maybe water got into the door? But is it safe to say that the ABS light and the charging issue are not related? What else could the ABS light mean? Thanks for all the input...really appreciate it.

i dont think the door would be the cause as they always get wet when wading....The roof..well it's not suppose to...

Of all the rediculas things that go wrong with discos this has to be the most irratating i can tell you that....i never owned a car or truck that had such a stupid problem and thats over more than 30 years...

Imagine selling something thats spells luxury expedition and have a stupid problem like this....Fu$cking idiots....

Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
6th Gear

so whats the best way to troubleshoot it then. Trial and error pulling fuses and hope its something i find...otherwise its hopeless?? Thanks again.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Trail and error, someone who knows electrical could make it easier I suppose, I can change a light bulb but thats about it.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseldogpi
so whats the best way to troubleshoot it then. Trial and error pulling fuses and hope its something i find...otherwise its hopeless?? Thanks again.
Trial and error. Or you could get an amp draw meter (I think Harbor Freight has them) and go thru the fuses and see if there's an excessive draw on one. Keep in mind that some fuses like the radio and clock will always have current. As for the ABS light, that can be read and reset by the dealer or get an ABS Amigo reader ($195) and do it yourself.

Eric

Quick Reply: Battery Draining Problem