Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beefy tires...on stock wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beefy tires...on stock wheels...

Looking for some advice on tires (brands, sizes). I am looking to put some beefier off-road tires on the 1999 Disco II. I do not do any off-roading...but have no problems with putting off road specific tires on the truck as it doesn't get much mileage put on it in the average week.Additionally, driving around D.C. averages about 28 mph on a good day with traffic (yes, I did the math, sadly).Will be nice to have the additional capability as we do enjoy outdoors activities (kayaking, hiking, running) but haven't had much time since my wifes pregnancy and the amazing little one that resulted...

I am terribly dumb on this tire stuff. The end result I am looking for is to give the truck a tough, off-road look, beefy tires...I am hoping to save some money by using the stock wheels. I am not opposed to lifting the truck a bit if it doesn't involve more than a few hours work and can be done at the auto craft shop at Fort Meade or Belvoir.

Thoughts?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Beefy tires...on stock wheels...

http://www.tirerack.com/

Old 05-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Without a lift, you can't do much. What size wheels do you have?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at the General Grabber AT2's, They look great, and preform great. I love them.
If you have 18" wheels that is by far your best option, in my opinion.
If you have 16" wheels, you have more choices but I would still consider the grabbers.
Great Value, great ride, quite, preform amazingly, and 65,000 warranty.

(PS-You dont need a lift for what you are going to do, trust me. Just throw a set of any A/T tire on there and you will be set.)

Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Mudding

Yeah, I was looking at the AT Grabbers. They do look good and are a great price. Mike, I have the stock wheels 16 inch ones.

If I lift at all...I don't want it to be much. What is the norm without having to change driveshafts?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:17 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OME springs 1.5", brake lines for the added height.
Max lift 2" with out anything else.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: cptshanman

Yeah, I was looking at the AT Grabbers. They do look good and are a great price. Mike, I have the stock wheels 16 inch ones.

If I lift at all...I don't want it to be much. What is the norm without having to change driveshafts?
Are you concerned about the extra mileage lost if you step up to a 265, somewhere around 1.5 MPG on the road?
If not don't go any taller, as I already mentioned, you can go for a 245 without a lift and they do look good on a non lifted Disco.
If you go to a 265, you will need the lift, 2"s and a set of stainless steel brake lines, no drive shaft work is required till you clear 3"s.
Have you already had your front drive shaft rebuilt to replace the double cardon u-joint that don't have grease fittings, if not do it ASAP as well as inspecting the rear roto flex that connects the rear shaft to the diff, making sure there are no cracks between the 6 bolts.
Mike

Old 05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: cptshanman

Are you concerned about the extra mileage lost if you step up to a 265, somewhere around 1.5 MPG on the road?
If not don't go any taller, as I already mentioned, you can go for a 245 without a lift and they do look good on a non lifted Disco.
If you go to a 265, you will need the lift, 2"s and a set of stainless steel brake lines, no drive shaft work is required till you clear 3"s.
Have you already had your front drive shaft rebuilt to replace the double cardon u-joint that don't have grease fittings, if not do it ASAP as well as inspecting the rear roto flex that connects the rear shaft to the diff, making sure there are no cracks between the 6 bolts.
Mike
You have to get longer brake lines for just an OME lift?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No you don't, just when going over 3 inches of lift. But of course, the lower the lift,the better it is for the stock lines. OME 1.5 to 2 inches lift is just fine with the stock lines.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Rover rubber brakes lines are prone to soft brakes/pedal and failure so you really have 2 reasons to replace them, the sooner the better, especially if you are tired of your soft brakes.

Quick Reply: Beefy tires...on stock wheels...