Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bleed air from Heater Core?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleed air from Heater Core?

01 D2 94K miles. I had coolant leak at water pump, Changed pump, tstat 180, hoses, flushed with distilled H20 by gravity. I decided to leave the distilled h20 in system for a day before draining and adding coolant.

i know how to bleed system. i primed heater core with distilled. before connecting hoses and with distilled h20 in system i started her up with heater on. no waterfall sound.

yesterday, after draining distilled h20 i forced air through heater core line, mistake, now after filling with coolant i have water fall sound behind dash.

my question is will the heater core air able to escape through standard system bleed.

i'm trying to avoid removing hose to prime heater core. probably what im going to do.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Elevate the front of the vehicle while bleeding. You'll be fine. Keep bleeding and bleeding. If you think you see the last of bubbles. Bleed a little more.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM
7th Gear

sound good. will keep bleeding and bleeding some more. thanks

Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I went through this when I changed out my radiator and backflushed my heater core. I used a garden hose to flush the heater core so I blew out the water with a shop vac before filling the system with coolant and bleeding it. I ended up with a waterfall sound also. Because of where the heater core is placed and how the hoses are run, you can't ever get the air out of it by elevating the nose and bleeding. You need to get the engine speed up high enough that the flow from the pump is enough to fully fill the heater core and force the air out. In my case, the vehicle was just being driven around town so it never revved high enough. A quick trip on the highway and all was well. I just had to purge the air that had moved from the heater core to the upper radiator hose after that and that was it.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

All I do is elevate the coolant tank.
It unclips and can be held up.
Put rags under it to hold it way way up.
Take off the cap.

Run the engine at 2,000 RPM for about 8 minutes.

If water spews out - you probably have a head gasket leak..

If water does not spew out - then watch it and after 5 or so minutes, let the engine idle.
Fill it up to the line.

Put the cap back on.

Turn off the engine.

Reinstall the coolant bottle / tank.

I never touch that stupid bleeder screw.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Water Boils Over on My 95 Discovery, that means I am have a head gasket leak?
I hear a waterfall when I start my disco. I thought the boiling was because of where the air bubble is being trapped within the engine creating the boil point?

I am having a problem getting the air bubble out. I'm to the point of just bypassing the heater core all together.. But if I have a blown head gasket, then there's no point is there???

Thanks for an answer and any input.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

bypass of heater can cause overheating issues as well
if boiling out, prolly hg. I would get one of those fancy pants tests to know for sure. it changes color if gas is in the coolant.
like dis

Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Dusty1!!!

You'd think when I first started talking about my over heating problems a year ago, someone might have suggested a blown HG and the way to test for such.. At least it's happening now, and I'll be able to decide to junk my rover or continue to fix her up.

In Peace..

Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Np. Good luck and those tests are pretty simple. I used a lisle brand it was about $30. IMO no need to give up over a leaking hg. A couple of weekends and you're back on the road.

Last edited by dusty1; 11-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Overlanding

I have just changed my HG and bled the system many time but my truck still overheat. From the threads above I have never heard any water fall sound behind the dash,could this be the reason why my Disco overheats? What do I need to do to hear the water fall sound behind the dash?
Many thanks in advance for any valuable information.

Quick Reply: bleed air from Heater Core?