Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding D2 Brakes without Test Book or Diagnostic Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Bleeding D2 Brakes without Test Book or Diagnostic Tool

This might be of some interest to those wishing to bleed their brake system with ABS, Traction Control and HDC. It has been derived by our pals in Aulro the good Aussie enthusiasts. It saves a lot of expense and messing about with the uncertainty of whether all of the air is expelled from the WABCO ABS unit by remotely activating the shuttle valves. I will try this probably next week and see how it goes.

Bleeding Brakes - Solo - Australian Land Rover Owners

Sorry folks, looking into this more deeply on the brake circuit diagrams this won't work I'm afraid as the tags on the relay will only activate the WABCO return pump and not the shuttle valves so it can only bleed by default half of the brake circuits, typically, Circuit A whereas Circuit B fluid will remain static as the shuttle valve will remain closed. EEErrrrr, back to the drawing board..................false alarm...........

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 06-15-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it works.........I believe having the key off is the secret, I could be wrong on this but I did both sides of the system with ease. Very Firm pedal .
I came across it after I did the master rebuild and could not figure out why my brakes wouldn't bleed. Once I replaced the master I used this method. ( oh and I also had just done the shuttle valve repair so had the ABS open as well).
See My post under " brakes, masters, grommets and bleeding".
I manually bleed it a week later just to check and I have zero air in the system.
I just used a helper at the relay touching both sides of the wire together vs. putting in a one man switch. could not have been easier, no mess and no squishy pedal.