Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head Gasket

Hey guys-

So I am super excited (not) to report that I have a blown head gasket on the drivers side. It is not too terrible right now, but is getting worse. I'd do it myself but I am away from my home and tools for the summer. Any recommendations on how to start to deal with this problem?

How much should a repair cost if I were to take it to an indy mechanic?

If anyone is in the Atlanta area and willing to help a fellow LR out, that'd be fine too

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has got to be 1000 threads about this, so my first advice, is to use the search function. 2nd piece is to get to work, it's not that bad.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jshivel
Hey guys-

So I am super excited (not) to report that I have a blown head gasket on the drivers side. It is not too terrible right now, but is getting worse. I'd do it myself but I am away from my home and tools for the summer. Any recommendations on how to start to deal with this problem?

How much should a repair cost if I were to take it to an indy mechanic?

If anyone is in the Atlanta area and willing to help a fellow LR out, that'd be fine too
Sweet welcome to the club.....do not wait to get this repaired correctly it will cost you more.
For Atlanta Service call Luke at The Shop. He did mine and does these all the time. They are the best LR indy in this area 678-352-4900. Tell him David Frankel sent you.
THE SHOP - Land Rover, Jaguar & Mini Cooper Service & Repair - Norcross, GA

Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

$100 at the local Harbor Freight will get you all the tools needed

Old 07-02-2014, 07:20 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Sweet welcome to the club.....do not wait to get this repaired correctly it will cost you more.
For Atlanta Service call Luke at The Shop. He did mine and does these all the time. They are the best LR indy in this area 678-352-4900. Tell him David Frankel sent you.
THE SHOP - Land Rover, Jaguar & Mini Cooper Service & Repair - Norcross, GA

Thanks Yoops.. I called them yesterday and I have an appointment with them next week. Getting a couple other things done while they have the whole engine apart.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jshivel
Thanks Yoops.. I called them yesterday and I have an appointment with them next week. Getting a couple other things done while they have the whole engine apart.
They know LRs (all of them)inside and out. For folks like me that simply do not have the time or in a lot of cases the energy to DIY in a lot of cases these guys are the ticket. Ask them to look over the entire vehicle to get the entire list of possible issues. (and these things are prone to a bunch of these)

take care

David

Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Did mine in a parking lot in Denver area.

You can too..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76579732@N07/

Old 07-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
They know LRs (all of them)inside and out. For folks like me that simply do not have the time or in a lot of cases the energy to DIY in a lot of cases these guys are the ticket. Ask them to look over the entire vehicle to get the entire list of possible issues. (and these things are prone to a bunch of these)

take care

David
Mine recently went and I called these guys, and the guys at Road Britannia.

I heard back from The Shop after 5 days with Luke blaming the delay on their phone system. Quoate was $2600 with everything machined and new plug wires (didn't even ask how old mine were). Poor communication at best, was not interested in looking at it at all before the quote. Not impressed.

Road Britannia got right back to me, quoated a standard HG job with valve job at $2250 but really wanted to see the truck first of course. I took it to them just because they communicated much better and seemed to want my business whereas the guys at The Shop did not. Three days later and with a much lighter wallet I have my truck back. The guys at Road Britannia all patient and seemed to care about the service. Only been a few days but I would recommend them highly. A class act of fellows who really love their British cars.

YMMV.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

$2,500 is the "standard price".

If it takes 20 hours they are getting $125/hour.

If it takes 40 hours they are getting $62.50/hour

A brain surgeon gets about $750,000 a year and $375/hour

Average salary in the USA is $51,000 which is $25/hour.

So, these Rover mechanics are not brain surgeons but they make a lot more money than the average Joe in the USA does.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Mudding

Have them use ARP studs.....Here come the haters!!! Very cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket