Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket anyway to get an idea if that is all?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket anyway to get an idea if that is all?

I have a leaky head gasket. I had a hose break and I got hot. Blew it out I guess. Anyway trying to decide on best course of action. I can say that I see no reason to get rid of the vehicle. I still owe some money on it and if I bought something else I will be spending money as well. I am happy with the vehicle. I did not pay a ton for it but with a blown head gasket it is obviously worth next to nothing.

I will like to just get the head gasket fixed. However I understand that sleeves can slip and other issues can also occur. So is there a way to get an idea if the sleeps have slipped or if there is other damage? If I knew that a head gasket was all I need I would just do that. If I had other damage I woudl probably look at a rebuilt engine.

I do not have any misfires and no service engine lights. I do not have any white smoke coming out the tailpipe. My wife says she can smell exhaust but that is the only other symptom. If I top off coolant and bleed air out the temp stays in a good range.

What else could I look for as a sign of other issues?

Robert

Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Mudding

I am specifically worried about the slipped sleeves that seem common. The engine has 130K miles on it.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Mudding

So what I am thinking is taking it into a mechanic in Delta Co that has worked on disco's before. If anyone else knows of mechanics in or around ouray, montrose, delta, etc... let me know.

My hope is that we can proceed like we are doing the head gaskets but he can run tests on the engine to make sure it is solid before we move forward. What all shoudl I ask for as far as tests?

Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

You can have them do a simple pressure test while the engine is still together. If you find that it's leaking externally, that will give them some direction.
From your description it doesn't sound like a cracked block or anything horrible like that. Of course I can't say for sure without doing the diagnosis myself. However, a cracked block will usually cause it to overheat very quickly. Usually within a couple minutes or less when you start driving.
Good luck with it. Hopefully it turns out to be a simple fix.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by disc oh no
You can have them do a simple pressure test while the engine is still together. If you find that it's leaking externally, that will give them some direction.
From your description it doesn't sound like a cracked block or anything horrible like that. Of course I can't say for sure without doing the diagnosis myself. However, a cracked block will usually cause it to overheat very quickly. Usually within a couple minutes or less when you start driving.
Good luck with it. Hopefully it turns out to be a simple fix.
Thank you for the response. I know for sure it is leaking externally. I just want to make sure I get this repair right. I want to make sure I ask them to do all the right stuff. I woudl rather not do the head gasket repair then turn around and have to replace the block or something like that.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As I understand it, you'll have to take off the heads to really know whether the damage is to the gasket or if there are larger problems. You'll likely have to get the heads skimmed (they could be warped due to heat) and everything has to be inspected for cracks. Obviously you want to find the root cause of the gasket failure and address that, because if you just change the gaskets and there's something else amiss, that's not going to fix the problem.

Take it to an experienced mechanic if you can afford it.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by batard
As I understand it, you'll have to take off the heads to really know whether the damage is to the gasket or if there are larger problems. You'll likely have to get the heads skimmed (they could be warped due to heat) and everything has to be inspected for cracks. Obviously you want to find the root cause of the gasket failure and address that, because if you just change the gaskets and there's something else amiss, that's not going to fix the problem.

Take it to an experienced mechanic if you can afford it.

Thank you for your response. I am for sure taking to a mechanic. Found one in Delta CO that has work on this vehicle before. My main concern is making sure that all steps possible are carried out to insure that if there was a block issue we know then so I can make sure I make the right choices. I intend to keep the vehicle and would like to get this resolved. .

Old 06-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I know for sure it is leaking externally.
Where are those leaks and how much? Puddles on the ground?

As said good idea to get compression test to check for internal leaks.

If found only to be minimal external leak some may recommend using a dose of K-Seal for a temporary repair to seal those. If leaking stops then watch coolant level like a hawk for potential internal leaks, cracked block, liners etc. If no other issues come up a simple HG would probably suffice.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by number9
Where are those leaks and how much? Puddles on the ground?

As said good idea to get compression test to check for internal leaks.

If found only to be minimal external leak some may recommend using a dose of K-Seal for a temporary repair to seal those. If leaking stops then watch coolant level like a hawk for potential internal leaks, cracked block, liners etc. If no other issues come up a simple HG would probably suffice.
Thanks for the reply. So they are toward the front of the head. Nothing makes it to the ground. I have to top off coolant about every 2 weeks and bleed out air. As long as I keep that schedule I do not overheat. I guess I should mention that I do not drive a ton so if I drove every day I guess it would maybe be worse. I honestly want to fix it permanently. I can see no coolant in oil but I have not done any further test from there. I like to go off roading here where I live (Ouray) and do not want to be stranded.

I suppose my main concern is making sure the job is done right. Make sure proper inspections are done while heads are off. The only place I found that can do the job in the near future is estimating around 2k for the head gasket job.

Anyone use the Lucky8 head gasket kit? The mechanic said the gasket kit was 300-ish. If lucky8 is good obviously it is much cheaper.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not sure about any after market parts. I usually get my parts from D.A.P. I think their website is dap-inc.com but I'm not 100% sure. I live close enough, I just go there when I need something.
If you have an external leak from the heads and you can drive for 2 weeks before topping off the coolant. It doesn't sound like a cracked block. There is a kit you can use to check the block itself. If the shop you're going to specializes in Rovers they may have it. It's pretty much just plates to block off the coolant passages into the block. That way you can pressurize the block with the heads off. You apply regulated, compressed air and check around the sleeves for bubbles.

Last edited by disc oh no; 06-21-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket anyway to get an idea if that is all?