Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 11:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Control Unit

Hello,
I have a 2002 Disco II where recently I went to unlock and the keyless locks didn’t work, I then went for a drive and found the turn signals also didn’t work. Reading around I found that the rear windows will also usually stop working and sure enough they don’t work as well. I tested all the fuses and they work so I have a hunch it is the BCU. I was curious if anyone has had luck replacing this part. I know only certain shops have this ability. I appreciate any input.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:23 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Others who know more may chime in here. I believe if you change the BCU, you also need the matching fuse panel, and perhaps engine ECU, and dash cluster.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:28 PM
4wd Low

Yeah, I’ve read that all that is connected. Does anyone have experience getting a BCU remapped so it is essentially a “plug and play” part? I ask because I found a shop in England that claims to do it, they will also diagnose and fix an interior fuse panel since replacement ones are no longer available. It all seems legit and I’m not questioning that about them at all, just wondering if anyone has gone this route?

Old 02-19-2023, 05:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

fuse panel and BCU are not related in the sense that I think you mean. The interior fuse panel only supplies current/voltage. The gauge cluster and BCU and ECU are related through electronic security code and need to be programmed to work with each other. So you need a programmer like nanocom or a LR specific workshop computer. The interior fuse panel has known issues with the traces corroding and burning out.

also, it is generally recommended that you upgrade the BCU to 03 or 04 version if possible.

Most of this info is here in the forums.......

Old 02-19-2023, 06:15 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the info, I tried searching the forums for BCU and Body Control Unit and didn’t find anything related although I know this item can go by a few different names. But what I’m hearing is if a new BCU is properly programmed to my vehicle it should plug in and work fine. Is that correct?

Old 02-20-2023, 07:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssdaniels
... Does anyone have experience getting a BCU remapped so it is essentially a “plug and play” part? I ask because I found a shop in England that claims to do it, they will also diagnose and fix an interior fuse panel since replacement ones are no longer available. ...
Please post info about getting a BCU remapped. What is the provider in England? I've heard of getting an ECU remapped, but the terminology doesn't make sense to me for a BCU.

Originally Posted by Ssdaniels
Thanks for the info, I tried searching the forums for BCU and Body Control Unit and didn’t find anything related although I know this item can go by a few different names. But what I’m hearing is if a new BCU is properly programmed to my vehicle it should plug in and work fine. Is that correct?
As XRAD wrote, you'd need someone with a Nanocom or maybe a shop with an AutoLogic (with DII software) to synch a replacement BCU to the instrument cluster in your truck. A Nanocom or an Autologic would also be needed to program the BCU to recognize your keyless entry fob(s).

One thing to note is that the miles driven are stored in both the instrument cluster and in the BCU. If you install a BCU from a truck that has more miles on it than your truck you will end up with the odometer displaying the higher number. Also, a different BCU may have other settings you'd want changed or that aren't compatible with your truck.

But regardless of all that, follow the mantra diagnose, diagnose, diagnose. I hear of BCUs failing only rarely. You don't want to go to the trouble of replacing the BCU only to learn it wasn't the problem. Perhaps you can post a link to whatever you read that links the symptoms you reported in your first post.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:51 AM
Pro Wrench

if you think it's the BCU, the part number you want is YWC000310 (the 2004 version). These are about 600$ from dealer or ~100$ on ebay. As above, it is not a plug and play unit. You can get used fuse boxes for about 100$ or have yours repaired. Consider investing in a Nanocom if you are going to keep the Disco.....

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (02-22-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:27 AM
4wd Low

Maybe remapped is the wrong word… here is the shop I found https://www.turners-garage.com/land-...-exchange.html it looks to me like they take the info from the BCU you give them and program it onto one that has been repaired. They seem to specialize in vehicle electronics and computers.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...windows-35478/
This is one of the forums I looked at.

https://www.landroversonly.com/threa...nt-work.41278/
Here is another one, I haven’t pulled Fuse 13 yet but will try that today

i went through the interior fuse panel and all the fuses are working.

I appreciate all of your input into this problem and will update as I work through it!

Old 02-20-2023, 11:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by XRAD
if you think it's the BCU, the part number you want is YWC000310 (the 2004 version).
XRAD, many of us are well aware of the preference for a later-model SLABS if your truck has been upgraded to enable CDL, but I don't recall ever hearing about a preference for a later-model BCU. What are the differences / advantages?

Old 02-20-2023, 12:35 PM
Pro Wrench

the older version BCU was numbered YWC000010. I do not specifically know of electronic component upgrades or any programming upgrades. I am only assuming that due to part number change, the older version has been superseded with some improvements. And yes, the WABCO (SLABS) 03-04 version is best due to programming update.....

SUPERSESSION INFORMATION

This part has been superseded by one or more of the following parts
YWC000310 (YWC000310 - Land Rover ECU-body electric control)

SKU
YWC000010
Genuine OEM YWC000010 - Land Rover ECU-body electric control (YWC000010) part for Discovery 2 1998 - 2004 Classic. Authentic Land Rover Part.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (02-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Body Control Unit