Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body fit for larger drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 10:36 PM
Mudding
Received 107 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Body fit for larger drivers

So, I think I need to reach out on this one for help with a more optimal solution.

I am on the tall side and while I love the disco(maybe too much) it poses a significantly painful problem for me. With the seat all the way back and the steering wheel adjusted up to the max, my legs still do not fit right. It puts my right knee at a 90 degree bend, putting all the force of my heel into my joint. The steering wheel position then causes my hip to rotate to clear the wheel (leg still touches) leading to stress on the hip.

I have to pull over about every 1.5 to 2 hours to walk off the pain. It is enough that I get out of the truck limping. I dont expect that this happens to all taller riders but I have some old joint injuries that are not tolerant to this at all.

I initially have looked into modding the seat to move it farther back, but that has the downside of making things worse for guests sitting behind me.

I think the real issue for my body is that the accelerator pedal is in the wrong position. I need to it be about 1-2 inches to the right and maybe farther back by the same amount. This should eliminate the hip rotation to get around the steering wheel and allow my knee to be at a slighly more rested angle. (Similar to my wifes matrix, which I can normally drive about 4 hours before needing to pull over and shake it out.)

So here is my question, is this a safe modification to make? This is the first time I have considered changing the pedal positions in a vehicle.
Have any of you made this modification, if so how did it work for you?

Old 08-21-2022, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Others here have modified the seat bracket to gain more rearward travel. I'm sure a pedal mod could be carried out safely but the seat seems considerably less complicated.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:39 PM
Mudding

I spent some time last night checking the dimensions and doing a little imagination testing for shifting over the pedal. I think I am going to order an assembly to experament on. It looks to be an easy job to reposition rightward, but if I need to push it back I may need to fabricate something. Ill report back once I make it or break it.

The following users liked this post:
Dunduin (04-14-2023)
Old 08-23-2022, 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

I used to have a severe pain after I drove for a couple hours but after I modified the seat rail to allow some more rearward motion it has significantly helped. I think the main problem is the vehicle was only half way thought through for having drivers on the NAS side.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/extended-seat-rail-disco-ii-34314/
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-and-tutorials/125937-disco-2a-seat-travel-leg-room.html

Last edited by Sandman614; 08-23-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Dunduin (04-14-2023)
Old 08-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Mudding

Thank you for the links Sandman.

I figure I will have to do that in the end. I got a pedal assembly on order I can experament with, maybe I will end up doing a bit of both. I would not mind the accelerator being farther right anyway so I can rest my foot.

With the seat farther back, do you have any issue with the b pillar hitting pressure points(upper arm, shoulder,...) or is it enough space to clear it?

Old 08-24-2022, 03:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Just move the seat, with brackets, it's like night and day. If you are like most of us, you drive 90% of the time alone or with one passenger...so having the seat farther back isn't an issue...and for those occasion when you do have someone in the rear...just play with the seating arrangement. B-pillar wasn't an issue for me, 6'3" 209 lbs, so tall but not to wide.

Dunduin (04-14-2023)
Old 08-24-2022, 07:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hasullivan
Thank you for the links Sandman.

I figure I will have to do that in the end. I got a pedal assembly on order I can experament with, maybe I will end up doing a bit of both. I would not mind the accelerator being farther right anyway so I can rest my foot.

With the seat farther back, do you have any issue with the b pillar hitting pressure points(upper arm, shoulder,...) or is it enough space to clear it?
No issue with pressure points on the B-pillar, I'm fairly broad shouldered, but it is more in the way which can be annoying at times. Can't wait to see what you have come up with on the pedals.

hasullivan (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 07:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the seat bracket modified and I still have hip issues on longer drives. I never thought about moving the gas pedal over. I think that may be the ticket along with the seat bracket mod. I'm 6'4" around 210. Can't wait to hear the results.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:36 PM
Mudding

Alright, the extra assembly came in last night so I am good to start taking measurements and observations. Today is "I have too much stuff" day in the garage so I will defer to tomorrow.

So far looks to be inexpensive cold roll stamped, formed, and painted. Althought it may be hot roll, I wasnt there. The gas has limiters built in, so as long as I stayin that range any thing from bending to fab should be easy enough. The return spring is really soft as I expected (easy to accidentally pulse the throttle, but does not tire my shins)

I will come back tomorrow with real world measurements.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hasullivan

Alright, the extra assembly came in last night so I am good to start taking measurements and observations. Today is "I have too much stuff" day in the garage so I will defer to tomorrow.

So far looks to be inexpensive cold roll stamped, formed, and painted. Althought it may be hot roll, I wasnt there. The gas has limiters built in, so as long as I stayin that range any thing from bending to fab should be easy enough. The return spring is really soft as I expected (easy to accidentally pulse the throttle, but does not tire my shins)

I will come back tomorrow with real world measurements.
It looks like if you could just remove the kinks in the pedal arms that would be a huge improvement. That is without looking under the dash to see if they are there to clear anything.

Quick Reply: Body fit for larger drivers