Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bosch +4s on Amazon $5.25 each

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bosch +4s on Amazon $5.25 each

I ordered the Magnecor 8mm wires from ApexPerformance (thanks Ed,)
but I found the Bosch Platinum +4 on Amazon for only $6.25 here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BYGGVC/

If you order before the end of 2010, there's a $1/plug rebate, so the plugs will end up costing you only $5.25 each! I haven't seen them anywhere else that cheap. Get the rebate form here:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...204557941_.pdf

I also got free shipping from Amazon (but I don't know if that's because I'm a Prime member).

FYI - these links are *not* affiliate links. I'm simply sharing a source. I'll let you know how they work out when I get them by this Friday and install on the weekend.

-Anthony

Old 12-28-2010, 08:19 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Platinum 4 or Platinum 2 or?

No more than 10,000 miles ago I replaced the head gaskets in our '03 D2 - it's right under 75K now - and I used Bosch Platinum 4 plugs at the time.

Last week the wife had problems with it, stuttering at idle, shutting down. Looks like the crankshaft sensor is going - new one coming tomorrow.

That's background - it also had errors for misfire on 4 and 5 - sure enough, one of the two had a good amount "crud" on the prongs. The other plugs looked just perfectly fine, correct color etc. I replaced all plugs with Platinum 2 this time around - just to try something slightly different.

With that in mind, are the Plat 4 or Plat 2 "better" for these cars? Any NGK or other plugs to try?

Also, any idea why the center cylinders would develop "crud"? A mere coincidence that looks like there is a causality?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Overlanding

For what it's worth, Advanced Auto almost always has a 40% off coupon. I just ordered 8 of the same plugs from them 32 bucks.

Name:  aauto.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  42.4 KB

Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
4wd High

My experience is whatever they put in factory works best. My 928 hates anything besides the standard copper which run less than $1.50. My S70 same thing.... nothing but issues if you use something besides copper.

Not had a Rover yet, so can not speak as to what is best.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by krigsmakten
With that in mind, are the Plat 4 or Plat 2 "better" for these cars?
Ha! You'll catch a lot of flack asking that question on some rover forums...

Try them both out and see which ones you like the best...some people have had really good luck with the 4's, some haven't...some say that it's best to have 8mm wires though in order to run the 4's instead of the factory 7mm's.

...I've got the 2's, Champion 7318's to be exact, on mine and I'm satisfied...maybe next go around I'll try out the 4's...

Old 12-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Disconoobie
Ha! You'll catch a lot of flack asking that question on some rover forums...

Try them both out and see which ones you like the best...some people have had really good luck with the 4's, some haven't...some say that it's best to have 8mm wires though in order to run the 4's instead of the factory 7mm's.

...I've got the 2's, Champion 7318's to be exact, on mine and I'm satisfied...maybe next go around I'll try out the 4's...
the 8mm wires are recommended because of the aluminum blocks that sits under the bonnet. it disperses heat more readily than a steel block therefore 8mm wires have more insulation protecting them from the excessive heat. whereas the stock 7mm wires dont have as much insulation and tend to fail quicker.

as for plugs d1's seem to run best on the stock champions the d2's can run stock or plat +4's or NGK Iridiums etc. etc. if you are going to run a plat plug than you should be using 8mm wires otherwise you wont get the spark you are looking for in the first place.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Champion double plat is a good bet for those wanting to upgrade from stock but not leap too far.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 PM
5th Gear

Has anyone had any luck running the E3 spark plugs? I'm due for a new set of plugs and wouldn't mind some feedback on what is best. My motor is completely stock with new head gaskets and plug wires. I didn't want to have the dealership sucker me into paying $15 per plug when I know I can do it myself. Any input would be much appriciated. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I ran the E3 plugs in my truck for a few months and took them out.
The ground electrode is so big that once it gets heat soaked it was pre-igniting the fuel at idle before the piston reached top dead center.
At a hot idle my truck would buck and rock and knock and all kinds of noise, switched to a cheap cooper plug and all was well once again, then I went back to Iridiums.
However my wifes Volvo with a turbo loves them as well as my lawnmower, snowblower and chainsaw.
They last forever and decreased fuel consumption in my small engines as well as increased power.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default E3 plugs

I have a DII 2003. I have been running the E3 plugs now for about 9 months. I think they work fine. I didn't have any symptoms like Spike but mine is a DII so I know all these trucks can be finicky. I felt a little more power with them newly installed as is normal with new plugs. They seem fine to me, I didn't see any great fuel mpg increase, after all it is a LR, no magic bullets for a 5000lbs truck. They are not too expensive at about $5.75 each.

Quick Reply: Bosch +4s on Amazon $5.25 each