Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought Blower Still Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought Blower Still Nothing

99 Disco 2
76k miles

So I thought the blower went out..bought a new one. Still nothing. I can hear a mechanical switching sound when I power the hvac on and off..and it makes the noise periodically while driving. Is this a relay switch?

Checked the fuses of course, they all checked out. I'm really stumped. What could it be?

-W

Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Bought Blower Still Nothing

You have a rsistor pack that controls the blower speed. They go out sometimes. It is either that or the switch in the dash. More common for the pack to blow, though.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Mudding

Resistor pack? Where would I find this on the vehicle and how much do they cost?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Not sure on a D2. someone might chime in...

Get a Rave CD from e-bay. It's under $10 and will give you all of the repair info you should need...

Old 01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Mudding

Oh and once I find it, how will I know that it's "bad"?

BTW: the heat/ac display lights up fine. All the buttons work. There is simply no air coming through any of the vents. No heat, no a/c, nothing.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling

According to the rave CD, the resistor for the blower in the (trim casing-side-loadspace). Doesn't say which side.The resistor is held in with 2 screws.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Mudding

Hey Mac,

I have a Rave CD and I searched through it for "resistor" I'm having a hard time locating what you just found. I read something similar but it was talking about the resistor that handles the rear ventilation. It mentioned something about a fuse. And if it was a bad fuse, the blower wouldn't work EXCEPT when you dial the fan motor up to it's highest setting. Then it would work. Not the case with my prob. But then again this fuse idea I found in Rave might not be the same thing.

What did you search for on the Rave CD to find that?

-w

Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Camel Trophy

look in the 99-02 Electrical library. Desc. and operation. halfway down, look for page 144 of 728. It mentions a blower relay and the wire #'s to check. I can't find the location....

The previous mentioned has to do with the rear air...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Air conditioning-Repair-Blower Resistor. It didn't indicate that it was for rear air, but it is in the section for rear air. Couldn't hurt to check. There is also one under heating and ventilation that talks about the resistor pack. Heating and Ventilation-Repairs- Resistor pack power A/C.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Mudding

I called Mike about this. He was a little stumped after talking with me and doing some troubleshooting. He suggested I buy a test light to see if power was actually getting to the blower.

I bought one and I think I'm too dumb to use it. I get the idea of how it works, but I don't know how to use it properly. I've poked around on the wiring and the terminals of the blower. Nothing. So I'm thinking I should use the test light on a terminal/wire that I know is live. Suggestions? I'm a little lost on this one. My lack of DIY is really showing..

Quick Reply: Bought Blower Still Nothing