Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought Blower Still Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bought Blower Still Nothing

Make sure you have the light installed on a good ground. I run a wire from the test light to the ground on the battery, that way I know it's good. Make sure the controls are on, obviously and check all the wires on the connectorto see which ones are hot. Then compare it to a wiring diagram.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Mudding

The wire coming off the test light is only about a foot long, so I can't use the battery ground. I did find a bolt in the door hinge. I tried that, but still nothing. It's frustrating. I don't know if I put the AA battery in wrong or just not making a good contact or I'm not getting a good ground. uggh.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Mudding

I know on my 88 Classic the resistor is under the passenger side dash area.I looked on the RAVE CD and I thinkit isbehind the glove box bucket. 1. Remove the screws holding the toe board and the toe board. 2. Remove the 4 screws removing the glove box. There should be a multi plug connected to the resistor and screws securing the resistor. It is on the CD under "Heating and Ventilation" >>"Repairs" >> "Resistor Pack"

Old 01-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Mudding

OK. I finally got the test light to work. Turns out the battery in the light wasn't making a good connection. Now that the light works I decided to go out and try again on the Disco. Here's what happened:

1. Touched probe to hot wire with ignition off. Result: Lit up test light.

2. Touched probe to hot wire with ignition on. Result: Lit up test light.

3. Touched probe to hot wire with ignition on AND heater/ac on. Result: No light.

4. Turned heater back off, touched probe to hot wire. Result: Lit up test light.

So what does this mean?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What does it do on the ground wire. Usually they willl install the resistors on the negative side of the blower to reduce heat. Also, might find a + power source to clip to and do the same...

Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Mudding

On the ground wire it does exactly the same thing, except the light is dimmer.
-W

Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Camel Trophy

just throwing this out, I am not positive, but if it is showing hot, it is not grounding out. This should mean the blower relay, if there is one, is ok, and your ground through the resistor pack (if I am right) is not making a good connection. It should still work, though, unless all of the resistors are open, or there is a loose wire.

I would take down the glove box and the trim under it and look for wires going into a plate on the ducting held in by 2 screws. Pull it out and take a look at it. The resistor packs are usually in the plenum so they can be cooled by the airflow...

Might have to take this one in....Did it just quit all of a sudden?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Mudding

Yes. Worked one day. Nothing the next. No odd sounds. Just stopped.

-W

Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Mudding

The Resistor Pack. Doesn't it control blower speed? Because, to my knowledge, the blower has two speeds: on and off. But the resistor controls the flow of electricity thus giving me control of blower speeds 1,2,3, and 4. Correct?

Therefore if the resistor failed or wasn't making a proper connection, wouldn't my blower just blow at top speed?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Camel Trophy

No, It has to go through the resistors. On low, it goes through the largest (least resistance) and then goes through more as the speed increases ( in parallel, dropping resistance ). They do it this way on the negative side to create the least amount of heat and power draw. Again, I am not positive it is wired this way. If I had a D2, I would go out and be able to tell you...If anyone wants to donate and 04 for the cause, let me know....

I would take your new test light and go through every fuse again. Test the one's in the engine bay as well....

Anything else not working?

Quick Reply: Bought Blower Still Nothing