Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a project: 1999 D2

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Bought a project: 1999 D2

So I figured that since my 2003 hardly gives me any grief, I would buy a project. I've been looking at a 1999 DII that I see at a lot, every day on the way to work. The price keeps going down, along with the air suspension.

Finally I went in and made them an offer. Hopefully I won't loose my shirt trying to make it right.

The main problem it has right now is that it gets immobilized. It will crank, start, and then immediately die. After that it will crank but won't start again. The scanner confirms that it gets immobilized.

It's been pouring down rain on and off today, so I haven't had a chance to look into it much yet. Fortunately, I did test drive it a few months back, before it got into this situation.

Attached Thumbnails Bought a project:  1999 D2-img_0242s.jpg  

Last edited by jafir; 04-23-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be a variety of things cuasing that, but mine just did the whole crank right up and shut right down thing: inertia switch (fuel cut off). Just pressed down on the top, heard a click, and whammy. Good luck with the project.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How long has it been sitting? Make sure the battery is fully charged and go from there. You know how these Disco's are... if the battery isn't 100%, it can cause a lot of headaches!

Eric

Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What is the exact fault code number, so we can better help you?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
It could be a variety of things cuasing that, but mine just did the whole crank right up and shut right down thing: inertia switch (fuel cut off). Just pressed down on the top, heard a click, and whammy. Good luck with the project.
So I did try that, before I connected the scanner, thinking the same thing. It didn't seem to make a difference, but I suppose the switch could be bad.

Originally Posted by SDinDS
How long has it been sitting? Make sure the battery is fully charged and go from there. You know how these Disco's are... if the battery isn't 100%, it can cause a lot of headaches!

Eric
It's been sitting for a few months. After reading the codes, I did notice some of them were talking about voltage problems, so I borrowed a new battery, reset the codes and tried that. It behaves the same way with the new fully charge battery.

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What is the exact fault code number, so we can better help you?
Currently I am getting P1666 Anti-theft alarm system BCU/BeCM serial link timeout value not plausible. Fault present and intermittent.

When I first unlock and get into the vehicle, the scanner shows that the immobilization status is "ok" when I attempt to start it, it start and then immediately dies. At the point the scanner says the status is "immobilized"

When it stops raining, later this week, I'll probably go check power and ground connections, and look for anything that a mouse might have chewed through.

Any other thoughts of things to look at?

I'm thinking worse case is that the ECM or BCU is having problems, and I'll have to replace them. Hopefully it's something easier (or cheaper).

Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks beautiful man good luck with it.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Looks beautiful man good luck with it.
Thanks! I wish it wasn't raining, so it could be in my front yard instead of at my friend's shop. I really want to get started!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be cps.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The BCM can go bad. From what I was told, it has an internal battery that can fail. I had that code before and took the dealer to make sure my BCM wasn't dying. They did a diagnostic test and found nothing wrong with the BCM, it was because the ABS shuttle valve had a short and was draining my battery. They only charged $50 which I thought was decent. That code showing up made me think that one of these days it probably wouldn't start at all.
I don't know if there's a way to bypass the inertia switch so you can tell if it's bad. Does the red alarm light on the instrument panel light up when it's immobilized?

Eric

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Try resetting the alarm by locking and unlocking the doors 3 times in a row. If that help, great, if not, down load the Rave CD and read up on that code and the testing procedure.

Quick Reply: Bought a project: 1999 D2