Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Brain Trust (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/brain-trust-18855/)

Spike555 01-13-2009 07:46 PM

Brain Trust

Ok guys and gals...this is not Rover related but I need some advice on how to handle some bad neighbors.
I live in a duplex, the neighbors and I share the same driveway, it is a circle drive that goes all the way around the house.
They have a 2 stall garage and we have a 1 stall.
They have 2 cars we have three. They park one car in the grage and the other outside.
Now here is the problem, they do not shovel their driveway, I snowblow mine everytime it snows so it is nice and clean.
My wife cannot use their driveway because the snow is to deep for her Volvo, even with the Blizzaks the car bottoms out and gets hung up on the snow. She has to spin the wheels and rock the steering wheel back and forth until she gets traction, all the time trying not to get creamed by another car as we live on a main 4 lane road.
There is no option to back out of our side onto the main road, it is suicide.
They have a POS S-10 Blazer and a POS F-150 4x2, they are tall enough to ride ovber the snow, the spin all the way up their driveway, but they dont care, they will not shovel.
Now here is what I have done so far, I have snowblowed their drive for them, I have asked them to take care of it themselves.
The answer I get is "we dont have any problems"
I am ready to get medevial on their a$$'s but my wife does not want me to.
I have talked to our land lord and he does not care, he just said "you handle it"
We have lived here for 3 years, they have lived here for 6 months.
Any lawyers out there who can give me ideas? Or anybody who has had a similar problem?
Generally I am a nice guy, but when my wife and kids almost got creamed by a city bus because she was stuck and the car was half in half out of the nieghbors drive that is where I draw the line.

Disco Dave 01-13-2009 07:49 PM

RE: Brain Trust

is there anything within the lease about care of the property? is it the responsibility of the tenants to shovel the driveway?

Spike555 01-13-2009 07:53 PM

Yes, per the lease I mow the lawn and get a $100 break per month on the rent and each tenant is to remove their own snow.
The last people to live next to us were very nice, clean and quiet so I did it for them.
These people have a snowblower, although a POS one, a snowblower non the less and two teenage boys and a teenage daughter.
So a snowblower, a snow shovel and 3 teenagers.

Disco Dave 01-13-2009 07:57 PM

sounds like you may have a chance in small claims court. i would first try to take it to the landlord and maybe if you snowblow their snow you get more of a break? if not, maybe you stress to him that if any damage occurs to your cars because of the other tenants, then you will hold the landlord responsible. i don't know if you have legal grounds in that regard, but most people don't know and you may kick them in the @ss to do something about the problem!!

Spike555 01-13-2009 08:05 PM

Good idea Dave, thank you.
Our landlord has several properties and this is (was, until these low lifes moved in from across the state) his nicest property.
We want to move SO BAD but there is nothing affordable in our kids school disctrict.

I have thought about bringing my FedEx van home and parking so that I block our driveway, if we cant use theirs then they cant use ours kinda thing.
"we didnt realize it snowed so much over here"
"our snowblower broke"
" we were...." the excuses go on and on.
These people are the poster family for white trash.

Disco Dave 01-13-2009 08:09 PM

i like the fed ex truck idea!! and they are only true white trash if one of their vehicles is up on blocks in the driveway!! i got plenty of them in my area.
let us know how it goes, and hope you prevail

Jeff In Katy 01-13-2009 08:13 PM

The next time you blow "their" side of the driveway make sure you blow it all onto "their" door step and they can take care of "their" snow how ever they feel.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Spike555 01-13-2009 08:21 PM

Pretty close, they have a 14' fishing boat, never been used...by them, a utility trailer, a riding lawnmower and a wheel borrow all sitting behind their garage next to their patio set that they never use.
3 flat tires on rims, 4 have empty gas cans, his Ford leaks gas, and oil, here Blazer leaks oil like the Exxon Valdez.
They leave crap laying everywhere...I wish we had bought the place when we had the chance.
A sweet old lady and her husband owned the property when we moved in, she lived next dorr, he's dead. She went to Florida every winter.
She descided to sell and offered it to us under land contract, then she got a cash offer and took it.

Spike555 01-13-2009 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeff In Katy

The next time you blow "their" side of the driveway make sure you blow it all onto "their" door step and they can take care of "their" snow how ever they feel.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
I have thought of that too. Pile it all in front of their garage or something.
But hell man, the new phone book that came out 4 months ago is still on their porch.
Their shattered (sha dooby) mail box, from the city snow plow hitting it, is still laying in a snowbank.
I finally picked it up lastnight and put in my dumpster because I was tired of looking at it.
I have a nice collection of basketballs and footballs going in my garage.
You dont pick it up I will. Once I get enough for a trip to GoodWill...

Darover 01-13-2009 08:40 PM

Well, looks like its time to hide a cement block or 2in the snow, or even better, a 2x4 full of solid nails. If they'd shovel, they would have seen them!!!

On the other end, as far as I'm concerned,unless I'm mis-understanding what you said, their side is their side and they can do what they want with it. Oh and by the way, you have too many cars! 2 is enough :)