Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brainstorming for the future

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 03:56 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Brainstorming for the future

I really love my Disco II, and I have a lot of plans for it, and I have this dilemma.

I am not a big off road guy, and want to build the ultimate road trip vehicle, and am more interested in Mountain Biking trails instead of serious Four wheeling. That said, I would love to do overlanding type trips.

My bumpers are gone, there are rust spots on the body, some body damage. The rear wiper doesn't work, the rear sunroof don't open.

That said, I have a lot of work in it, an electric fan set up I did a lot of work on, and a Turner Short block with upgraded cams. I have a lot of work in it, and am attached to it.

But I wonder if instead of investing in new bumpers, body work, and the small things, to instead save up and buy a donor vehicle to transplant my engine and other bits. I could even buy a rust free partially disassembled truck. That wouldn't bother me.

Big negative, is no land to store my old one for parts. Maybe a relative through my wife's family, but it would not be close.

What do you guys think?

Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

In theory, it sounds like a fun idea...but...if there is one thing l've noticed (in my short time here)...is that...folks dump a bunch of time, effort and money into these things...and end up disappearing without ever posting up pictures or stories of their travels. Now, maybe they are out there at this very moment...doing what they intended...but...Jeff Blake built a pretty awesome machine and l've not seen hide-nor-hair of him in months. Again, maybe he's using it for what he intended...but...why no follow up reports?

Anyhow...

Like you...I've been "hoping" to do some extended trips with my 01, just put plates on it yesterday...but...l'm always one weird noise away from dumping the thing and cutting my loses. I'll give it a few road trips this spring and make more decisions about where and what to do in the future. I'd like to make one attempt to get to the badlands with it, maybe l'm crazy...but...it crosses my mind. If it doesn't work out for adventure trips, l can always go back to trailering it to off-road locations.

Brian.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

As someone that drives to events wheels and drives back I will tell you if you have the option to trailer it I would. Wheeling trips are a lot more fun if you aren't worrying about that new noise...

Old 03-14-2018, 06:30 PM
TReK

I’m with ya Brian. I had avoided off road trips due to the three amigos being in, and not wanting to get stuck.

Being in Chicago, it’s not easy to get out to the Badlands or other places. That said, we will be moving to MN, and I will be closer to the North Woods, Canada, and the Plains, plus parents to be babysitters!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

I went for a 2 day trip, with other Rover drivers, 3 weeks after I got mine -10 C camping is interesting. I have been on 2 single day 6 to 7 hour trips solo and another snow trip with the the local rover guys.

I am currently planning my summer trip either 8 days from the Alberta border back to the coast in BC. Or a similar amount of time drifting down the West coast of Vancouver island.

Of course assuming no gremlins show up, but I had a full fluid change done both diffs, transfer case, transmission, and oil. And so far one random 02 code that I cleared and has not returned.

But I only post if I have something to contribute, and once the weather is good I will be outdoors more so less posting.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Buy a southern truck with a blown motor - an 04 preferably, and put your running gear in it. You can rent a storage area for about $100/mo that will fit an entire disco in - good place to work on it in the winter too (assuming it has a light fixture you can rig a halogen to plug in to).

Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
As someone that drives to events wheels and drives back I will tell you if you have the option to trailer it I would. Wheeling trips are a lot more fun if you aren't worrying about that new noise...
Says the man Not driving a D2, lol

Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I drove my old D2 from Chicago to Rovers on the Rocks in PA, wheeled it and drove it back. Also did the same with my 110.

You were saying.......

Old 03-15-2018, 06:21 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Extinct
Buy a southern truck with a blown motor - an 04 preferably, and put your running gear in it. You can rent a storage area for about $100/mo that will fit an entire disco in - good place to work on it in the winter too (assuming it has a light fixture you can rig a halogen to plug in to).
This is what I am thinking, but I think I will just save up money, and when I have the space in my life try to find a good one.

Maybe one of the guys who breaks them would work something out.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I drove my old D2 from Chicago to Rovers on the Rocks in PA, wheeled it and drove it back. Also did the same with my 110.

You were saying.......
....that you are a lucky man!
I drove mine 5 1/2 hours home when I bought it last year!
I'm still shocked I made it, lol

Quick Reply: Brainstorming for the future