Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleeding issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake bleeding issue

Here’s the rundown. I’ve been driving my LR3 for the past couple of months and had my disco II sitting in the garage. I noticed it had a brake fluid leak on the drivers side and investigated and it. Turns out it was the master cylinder, so I replaced the M/C and started to bleed the brakes by following the proper order in protocol. However, the front left and right rear wouldn’t bleed. No fluid comes out whatsoever. The front right and left rear bled normally. I now have a nanocom tool and attempted to power bleed the system, however, I still couldn’t get any fluid to come out of the FL and RR. Any suggestions on where to start?

As always, thanks in advance!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Make sure the bleeders aren’t clogged up.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:38 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Make sure the bleeders aren’t clogged up.
Bleeder screws aren’t clogged. I checked all of them. I’m wondering if I have a clog somewhere higher up in the system, but I’m not sure why it would be selective as to which brakes would bleed and which would not

Old 11-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

The brake system is split and those two are on the same circuit so it may be an issue in the ABS module, or the MC itself. I'd double check the MC since that's the most recent change.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Did you bleed the lines from the MC to the Wabco unit first before trying to bleed at each wheel?

Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 AM
4wd Low

Yes, I bench bled the MC prior to installing it. As Red said, the LF and RR are on the same circuit on the ABS module. I have checked to see if the piston somehow got air locked in the MC, but cannot see anything abnormal. I wouldn’t think the MC would be defective, but maybe it’s a possibility

Old 11-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Bench bleeding is good, but if you have air in the line (2 go straight to the WABCO unit), and you don’t bleed them you can have issues bleeding the system. I just loosen one at a time and bleed it until it stops spitting. Then do the other line, and then power bleed the brakes.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi All, So How important is the sequence in bleeding the brakes I just sent the manuals to my mechanic. He bleed them front to back right side then left rear to front which I guess was wrong and why i sent him the manuals But really how important is that? I just have really spongy brakes even after he bleed them. Also the ABS light is on Oh and i guess the 3 amigos... is there any special Diag. Reader i need to get to properly diagnose these issues?

Old 03-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

@RoverSE7 Yup you need a Land Rover compatible code reader to get the correct codes, the Foxwell NT520 will do fine.

You need to know why your 3 amigos are on, and get that cleaned up. As long as those lights are on you have no ABS, you will still stop but it is not optimal.

As to bleed sequence I did mine rear to front both sides.
Check your vacuum line from the brake booster to the upper intake, itis a nylon line and as it get old is prone to cracking and leaking right where it enters the intake, that will cause mushy brakes.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:00 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You have to activate the ABS to get a proper bleed. With the Tres Amigos at the party it isn't possible.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding issue