Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Handle Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Great replacement boots, etc.

I had my parking brake, transfer case, and center console done by Redline Goods (Shift boot store - RedlineGoods leather shift boots). You have choice of material/stitching, and they do great work. If you look under Land Rover, and then click on "installation instructions," there are actual pictures of my car's trim.

No, I'm not a paid shill, but if you're looking for some nice custom interior work, at a good price, you should check these guys out.

DRW

Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Discovery SE7, those are the ugliest boots taht I have ever seen! My goodness, did you scrape off the vinyl out of a nervous habit! Send me a pm and let me see if I can hook you up. I know I have a perfect shifter boot and I think that I have a brake boot, not perfect, but in pretty good shape. Thanks Phil

Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Discovery SE7, those are the ugliest boots taht I have ever seen! My goodness, did you scrape off the vinyl out of a nervous habit! Send me a pm and let me see if I can hook you up. I know I have a perfect shifter boot and I think that I have a brake boot, not perfect, but in pretty good shape. Thanks Phil
The last set of pics are from before I re-did the boots. The first set of pics with the wood center console are the new ones.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

yes you did. The new boots look great, nice job. I should have read the line of posts a little closer. You almost got some new boots! Phil

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
yes you did. The new boots look great, nice job. I should have read the line of posts a little closer. You almost got some new boots! Phil
I do appreciate the offer though. They were the worst I had ever seen. Completely deteriorated. That one section was the worse part of the car when I got it. Everything else was nice and clean.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Discovery SE7
To answer your question about how to install them...

The shifter just screws off. Grab a firm hold and twist the ball part counter clockwise, but it's easier if you pry the bottom of the boot first. Just take a flat head screwdriver and pry up the square part that fits flush with the console. After that piece is up and no longer attached to the console, you can twist the ball part of the shifter and just move the bottom part along with it as you twist. If you don't remove that bottom part, you'll only be able to twist it like two or three revolutions.

The brake requires a firm grip with both hands and is easier to do with the hand break up. Use both hands to grab the plastic part and twist from left to right while pulling away from the console. After the handle starts to move away, stop and unclip the base of the boot by squeezing it and pulling it out of the recess. After the base of the boot is removed from the console, got back to twisting the handle back and forth while pulling away from the console until it comes free.

Just remember which side is up when you pull the metal clip from the console that holds the hand break, as well as the proper orientation for plastic base for the shifter *** (it looks square, but it isn't and will give a hard time to replace if you don't have it the right way).

When you have the parts off, remove the base ends of the boots first. It might be easier to just cut them off. After the bases are removed, turn the boot inside out, so the bottom of the handles are visible. There are rubber retainers that hold the boot to the bottom of the handle. Be careful not to break those retainers, but remove the rings and the boots will come right off.

To put it together, just do the reverse. Turn the leather inside out, connect the rubber retainer so it fits back into the groove for each handle. Fold the leather onto the plastic (for the shifter) and glue it in place, then the metal (for the break) and glue it in place. Make sure you hold the leather in place long enough for it to dry completely. Then fit everything back in place by screwing the shifter in place and then pushing the base back into place, then pushing the break handle back onto the metal, then push the metal base back into the console.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine yesterday and created a pattern from the original pieces after removal. Be careful as you pull it them off the original frames (plastic square for shifter and metal frame for brake and hang onto the rubber garket at the top end of each as the fabric will tuck back into them-you'll see what I mean once you remove) as you will reuse to install new ones. I will upload the jpeg of the pattern I made and you can print it out on a full size 8.5x11 piece of paper to use for yours. I then went to Goodwill where I found a nice matte real leather skirt for $7 (some fabric stores have the leatherette but the real thing looks much better) (make sure the panels are wide enough with no seams for the pattern to fit) which I cut apart. Lay the pattern on top of the leather pin it and cut out. Using a sewing machine with a heavy duty needle and heavy duty thread made a single seam for the brake cover and a sewed the shifter together with two. I glued them back on the frames the exact way they were before (take pix if you need a reminder as you undo it) You will glue (I used super Tacky Glue) the pieces that wrap around the wire frame as well as the plastic square from the shifter. Slide on, wrap around the gasket/ring ( There is a groove in each **** where it sits. if you break one, any pool supply store has a great selection of smooth round rubber gaskets so take the old one with you to match correct size) with it inside out. Pull it back over smoothly and reinstall. Easy and took about two hours total from start to finish. I would think an old leather jacket, maybe a pocketbook that is large or anything along those lines would wok as long as the finish matches (not shiny). I am on vacation to day but will upload the photos and process this week. I did check Atlantic British and Ebay and found both for $105. I spent $9 (leather and glue) and a couple of hours. Looks better than new...it was the only thing not perfect on my truck's interior and came out of the grocery yesterday to a guy peeking in my window wanting to know where I found them. Good luck. PM me if you have questions after I upload the pattern and pix.

Last edited by mbonthenet; 05-28-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: mispelling