Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light always on while vehicle is running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Brake light always on while vehicle is running?

Noticed the tail lights illuminating up the highway behind me on my way home tonight so I checked them and sure as **** the brake lights are always on while the rig is running. Not good. When I step on the brake pedal nothing happens, even in park the lights are always illuminated - until I turn off the ignition. I replaced both rear tail lights with new assemblies, new bulbs all included. Also re-connected the brake light switch after I got the new brake booster installed.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did just get the truck registered today and so far everything else is looking good and no codes have popped up yet.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from the RAVE:
The brake switch is set automatically during fitment. If the setting is disturbed, the switch can be reset by depressing the brake pedal and pulling the plunger out of the switch body, until it contacts the pedal.

I had the same issue.... just yank the plunger... when you reinstall, it will self set to the proper depth. btw, i had this issue after i replaced my booster as well.

it is page 890 of the RAVE.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling

I should have added... while your truck is on, if you push the plunger with your finger, do the lights go off? if so, then do the plunger adjustment i mention above.

if they do not go off if you manually push the plunger, then either your plunger or the fuse is out.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:29 PM
TReK

by plunger I assume your referring to the brake light switch just below the brake pedal? I will fiddle around with it and see what happens. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling

yes..
when the pedal is released, it presses against the plunger/switch turning the lights off.
when you press the pedal, it closes the circuit and the lights come on.

so, if after you replaced your brake booster (same thing happened to me). the plunger was no longer long enough to reach the peddle when your foot is off the break. So you just need to pull the plunger out... it is a little tight when you pull it, just yank on it and it will click out. pull it out farther then you need... as soon as you release the pedal, it will self set to the proper length

Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by primussucks
yes..
when the pedal is released, it presses against the plunger/switch turning the lights off.
when you press the pedal, it closes the circuit and the lights come on.

so, if after you replaced your brake booster (same thing happened to me). the plunger was no longer long enough to reach the peddle when your foot is off the break. So you just need to pull the plunger out... it is a little tight when you pull it, just yank on it and it will click out. pull it out farther then you need... as soon as you release the pedal, it will self set to the proper length

Thanks I adjusted the brake light switch and everything is now working as it should. Thanks again for the tip.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 PM
TReK

Actually got another brake light question. When are the rear bumper lights suppose to illuminate? They dont appear to be working. The upper tail lights work just fine.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Actually got another brake light question. When are the rear bumper lights suppose to illuminate? They dont appear to be working. The upper tail lights work just fine.
I discovered the same thing tonight. Just replaced the bulbs. Eager to hear a solution or thoughts.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Those are not brake lights. Those are rear fog lights. They come on when you push the button (so long as your front lights are on). There is a button on the binacle.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by primussucks
Those are not brake lights. Those are rear fog lights. They come on when you push the button (so long as your front lights are on). There is a button on the binacle.
Both the red and white lights are considered the dog lights?

Quick Reply: Brake light always on while vehicle is running?