Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light not working (bulb is fine)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 02:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Doesn't matter how they look, bend the ground tabs on the sides out.

Old 10-28-2023, 06:09 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Remove the tail light assemblies and unplug them from the truck. Then check for 12v between the pins in the plug and a ground point on the body when you have the tail lights on and when someone is pressing the brake pedal. Report back on which pins (i.e. which wire colours) show voltage under those situations.

Old 10-29-2023, 02:47 PM
Mudding
Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by V50-M66
Doesn't matter how they look, bend the ground tabs on the sides out.
Tried that. Didnt help.

Old 10-29-2023, 02:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
Remove the tail light assemblies and unplug them from the truck. Then check for 12v between the pins in the plug and a ground point on the body when you have the tail lights on and when someone is pressing the brake pedal. Report back on which pins (i.e. which wire colours) show voltage under those situations.
I unplugged the light assembly and tested the plug/pins coming from the truck. I get power (about 12-14v) in 3 of the 4 pins as I take an action (headlights, brake, blinker.) Fourth pin never shows power, so thinking its a ground. Whats this all mean?

Last edited by Trailmix; 10-29-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:35 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

To confirm it’s ground, set your multi meter to Resistance. Then probe said pin and check for continuity to ground.

Old 10-30-2023, 08:30 AM
TReK

The wire going to the brake light terminal should be green/purple. The wire to the tail light should be red/orange (right hand side) or red/black (left). If the correct wire colours correspond to the terminal positions in your picture above, then the problem is either inside the light assemblies themselves (unlikely that both would fail in the same way at the same time) or the bulbs are wrong.

Old 11-02-2023, 05:56 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mollusc
The wire going to the brake light terminal should be green/purple. The wire to the tail light should be red/orange (right hand side) or red/black (left). If the correct wire colours correspond to the terminal positions in your picture above, then the problem is either inside the light assemblies themselves (unlikely that both would fail in the same way at the same time) or the bulbs are wrong.
The 4 wires are as follows: (this is my drivers side with has the problem. The passenger side is ok.)
* Brake wire is green/purple
* Blinker is green
* Headlight is red
* ?? one Is black

does this sound correct?
You mention a tail light, but i think you mean headlight, right?

Old 11-02-2023, 06:49 PM
TReK

Since you're referencing brake lights, I assume that you are working at the back of the truck. There are no headlights at the back, so tail light is correct. Tail lights come on with the marker lights when you turn the switch to the first position; headlights only come on when you turn the switch to the second position.

It does sound like your wires are the correct colours, which leads us back again to the bulb mounts or the bulbs themselves.
You ARE using bulbs with two filaments in the brake/tail socket, right? Like this? There should be offset locating pins and two contacts on the bottom.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:23 PM
Mudding

Yes, its the rear light assembly in question. I call it the headlight bulb/socket because it comes on when you turn on the headlights. You cal it the tail light, which is probably more accurate... its the same socket.

Im using bulbs exactly like your picture. In fact i swapped bulbs with the passenger side and the same thing occurs, so its not the bulbs.

Last edited by Trailmix; 11-02-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:04 AM
TReK

Except, as I said, the tail lights do NOT come on with the headlights. They come on with the marker lights.

Can you install the bulb rotated by 180 degrees?

The following users liked this post:
V50-M66 (11-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Brake light not working (bulb is fine)