Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRake Light's on and three amigo's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRake Light's on and three amigo's

OK here's the story 99 Disco II 120K, just bought it. Thre amigos are on right now. When I looked under the truck the rear driver's side caliper was bleeding some. When I called Land Rover they told me it couldn't be the caliper because they never go bad. I switched it anyway and picked up the O-ring for the wheel hub. My plan is to pull the hub, clean the ABS Sensor, Diaelectic grease the conection, and rebuild. I am hoping to not have to buy a new hub, can you get all of the seals and bearing and rebuild it? I went ahead and slaped the brake caliper on today, bleed everything with new DOT 3 Brake fluid. Now my Brake light is coming on when drivng. Why would this be coming on? I can't imagine why it is coming on. I checked the harness that comes out of the brake resivior and it is secure. I know to check the three amigos on previous posts and I will my plan is to take it to LR and have them run the diagnostics on it and then fix what ever comes up.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: BRake Light's on and three amigo's

And more, one of the reasons I thought I had a leak in the brake system was that I had a mushy brake pedel wen first braking but if press a secon time it would be fime, My thought was a leak or air in the line. Now I have bleed all of the calipers and corrected the leak, the peddle is even worse. What can be causing this. I went all the way around and none of the hoses are leaking.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, you can not rebuild the hub, it is a replacement item only.
Don't take it to a dealer for the trio, they charge you big time and give you even a bigger list of parts, usually in the $3000 range when done.
Find a small shop that can scan for the ABS codes, get the fault number and get back to us.
Quite often you can turn of the trio and they won't come back, usually a dirty sensor.
Shout if you have any questions.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Where might one look for a small shop that can check the ABS codes. I asked and was told the dealer was the only one. I am near charlotte NC.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

call atlantic british. They will tell you who has the closest autologic scanner.

Also, if you have 120K, you may need to replace the brake hoses. They can ballon up when you hit the pedal.

How did you bleed the brakes?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing you will need to do is replace the DOT 3 brake fluid
with DOT 4.

This will have no effect on the lights but is needed due to the heat
of the brakes on Rovers.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Three Wheeling

I bleed the brakes with a peice of hose over the nipple that runs to a jar on top of the wheel. You can open the valve and pump the brakes till you get good clean fluid through the line. Started at the furthest wheel from the master and worked my way back to the front. The brake fluid is almost black So I will go ahead and swap it out today. I am also going to pull the rear hub to see if the hub is leaking.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

go with the 2 man method. It won't fail you. Have someone sit in the truck. Open the screw, have them push the brakes to the floor and hold it. Tighten the screw and have them let off the brake. Repeat 4385 times. (not really that many, but it is a lot to push new fluid through all of the line)

As for the hub, do you have fluid on one of your tires?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Three Wheeling

I did have my wife in the car doing the pumping but this method keeps you from having to pump all day and then hold. You only have to pump to old fluid out. Yes the back of the tire is covered with fluid all the way around. I just spoke with a repair shoy not far from my house that can read the ABS codes for me. He also told me that you have to bleed the ABS block under the hood first and then the wheel cylinders. So I will do that also whil;e I and changing the fluid today.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GBR mentioned they were thinking about starting to rebuild hubs, let them know you think this is a good idea... I had a nightmare dealing with a wrecker trying to get decent used hubs .. 2 weeks and still ongoing.

Quick Reply: BRake Light's on and three amigo's