Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake squeak

For awhile now my brakes have been squeaking like a mother. My brakes are really good, not the absolute world's best, but they're solid. I took them across the street to Goodyear and I had them check them out (which I thought they advertised for free, but I guess it's $42...). Anyway, they told me the brakes were fine, and the only thing they could do to get rid of the squeak was to do a front break rotor refinish for a whopping $212. Is it just me or is that ridiculous? Also, they said there was a coolant and oil leak, but they didn't know where and they priced me a $48 fee for checking where the issue is.

I told them forget it, and I'm taking my car to a shop that specializes in European cars tomorrow. I talked to them on the phone and they said the most they would charge is $180 and that's to simply reverse the brake pad - assuming they're in good condition - or they'll keep the brake pad the way it is and add this paste that will supposedly make the brakes stop squeaking for $48.

Any input? Kinda new to Land Rovers and cars since this is my first car (I'm a teenager.)

Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My brakes squeaked until I got akebono ceramic pads and new rotors. Pretty straight forward job. The rotor retaining screw was the hardest part. $350 in parts and about three hours of my time.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Who's pads are you using? Most of the cheap quality pads will squeak. How many miles on the rotors and did someone put sound deadening material on the back of the brake pads.
And yes, Akebono ceramic pads are the best way to go.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:13 PM
5th Gear

No idea what pads I'm using. How do I find out?

Also, is $212 a reasonable price to fix this issue? Or have you heard of some paste-like material that may work as well?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Administrator

NO, cause you don't even know what is causing the squeak and believe me GoodYear is just guessing.
How, if any, mechanical are you?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 PM
5th Gear

Lol, not mechanical at all. Although I'm really good with learning from videos (YouTube for example).

Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Winching

$212 is a ripoff to just put some snake oil on your brakes. You could get new pads for less than that and put them on yourself. It is an easy job (if you have the right tools). There is a write up on how to change pads/rotors. Read it and see if you think you can do it yourself.

DIY: Part I — Replacing Rear Rotors and Brake Pads on a Land Rover Discovery II - MAVROMATIC

DIY: Part II — Replacing Front Rotors and Brake Pads on a Land Rover Discovery II - MAVROMATIC

Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 PM
5th Gear

Do you all think I should have a shop that specializes in European cars put a paste on my brakes to stop the squeaking if I want to get rid of the noise but don't want to change out my pads?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Administrator

If you are able to follow directions, do the brake replacement yourself, you will get a better job with better pads for a lot less money.
If you want some help with it, PM me your number and I'll walk you thru it.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by disc2001
Do you all think I should have a shop that specializes in European cars put a paste on my brakes to stop the squeaking if I want to get rid of the noise but don't want to change out my pads?
Whatever "paste" they use will be a very temporary fix. Like Mike said, if you can follow directions, you can change the pads. It is very easy and will give you MUCH better results. Look up the Akebono brake pad deal recently posted. For around $90 you can replace all four pads with quality pads that will stop your squeal.

Quick Reply: Brake squeak