Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Brake suggestions

Hello all,

2000 Disco II, 117k. New brake pads. Stainless lines. Bled as well as possible in the driveway.

I generally drive my Disco like I am trying to lose a race with a bunch of grandmothers. However things happen and I occasionally tow a medium weight trailer (2000 pounds or so loaded) and even less often a heavy trailer (close to 5000 pounds) my brakes are not up to the task. They weren't up to the task when I bought it with 4 miles on it, either.

Yesterday, an idiot in a crown vic pulled out in front of me like I wasn't there and I should have been able to stop. I ended up having to drive around them with my brake pedal to the floor.

I understand that lr has a setup to give you the best possible bleed (brake fluid and money) but the dealership is a long way away and, frankly, I don't like my dealerships here. Can anyone give me other tips on increasing my braking? Will a new booster make a difference? Is there any brake system swap that would work? I've Googled it and I am coming up with not much, other than possible slotted rotors and better pads. I have the medium priced pads now.

Best,

CHARLIE V

Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You need someone to pump the brakes while you are watching the fluid come out of the caliper. There should be Zero Air Bubles. Also did you replace all 6 rubber lines? Most kits only provide 4, there are two others on the D2 that should be replaced as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What pads are you using?
Replacing the old rubber brake hoses, all 6 of them, will make a big difference and make sure to use 2 quarts of DOT4 when bleeding and bleed each wheel till you get perfectly clear flow.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you have a bubble. My bone stock brake set-up responds better than you're describing. In other posts, I rember DiscoMike saying something about a full 3 qt flush is required to get all the old fluid out. Then I'd get your BB tested. I wouldn't look at upgrading things until you ID the culpret.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy

Whoa, I replaced FOUR brake lines, not 6. Are the other two going to the booster? I'll need to check that out.

I should add a bit of info... I live near a busy street and my quiet street intersects the busy one at a blind turn. The upshot is that I often let off my brakes, see someone coming, and have to stomp them pretty quick to keep from being hit. Sometimes, when I let off the brakes then push them again, I get almost NO BRAKE. That is the opposite of what I have seen described elsewhere (second push gives you more brake). A mechanic who works for us (but on 18 wheelers, so no real help with Discos... he ruined my rear main seal using a quart paint can to knock it into place.. now I have to pull the engine again to fix the leak) said it is probably the booster not recovering fast enough. Does that enlighten anything? I have never done anything with a brake booster so I have no idea but I am always eager to learn.

Best,

Charlie V

Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What pads are you using?
Replacing the old rubber brake hoses, all 6 of them, will make a big difference and make sure to use 2 quarts of DOT4 when bleeding and bleed each wheel till you get perfectly clear flow.
Mike,

I don't recall the brand even though they are only three months old. I just went to the auto parts store and asked for something other than the cheapest. I think front and back were about $120 dollars.

I did the bleed with the help of someone else (him on the bleeders and me on the pedals)... maybe I should put him in the driver's seat. I also started using a vacuum pump, but ended using a wrench on the bleeder (so the vacuum pump didn't do much other than speed the process).

Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you looking under the hood frequently while you're bleeding to make sure the resevoir stays full? If the fluid level gets too low, it will suck in air.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Charlie, if you want some help with this, PM me your number and I'll call you.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do you get the other 2 ss brake lines? I replaced mine Sunday with the Goodrich kit from RN. I saw the other two when replacing the driver side one and wondered why those weren't in the kit as well, but I've never heard of people replacing all 6 until now.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Madlands
Where do you get the other 2 ss brake lines? I replaced mine Sunday with the Goodrich kit from RN. I saw the other two when replacing the driver side one and wondered why those weren't in the kit as well, but I've never heard of people replacing all 6 until now.
I used the Gooodrich kit, too. I just looked in my driver/front wheel well and sure as hell there are two short, old lines there. I didn't notice them; how stupid. UGH!

I have an extra Goodrich kit (4 SS lines), and they have the fittings, but I imagine looping them (they are +2 length for the 4 piece kit) would mean I would NEVER, EVER, get air bubbles out. UGH UGH UGH.

I'm going to look for the short lines.

Mike, I think I still have your number in Colorado... I'll give you a call this evening.

Quick Reply: Brake suggestions