Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brakes

about to do a brake job on my DII and noticed that e bay has a lot of sellers for rotor and pad setups. most are for slotted/drilled rotors with pads for a fairly good price. anyone had any luck with this? any suggestions.
Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: brakes

Be VEEERY careful with E-bay. Sometimes auto parts from there just arent worth it. I would seriously consider just buying them somewhere, unless you can find someone that you can really trust. I know some guys on here have some good suggestions for where and what to buy.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I figured as much, just wanted to see what was out there and if anyone had a good story, thx

Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 PM
TReK

Check out these Brake Kits at www.eurotekapg.com They use PBR pads and Brembo or Brake Engineering rotors. In the kit they include a small bottle of a anti-squeal liquid that you paint the friction material surface with -- let it dry for 15 minutes-- and then install the pads. I seems to work great for the people who use it, I am going to use them next time.

I'd stay away from Pads from Mintex-- as they almost always squeak when applying pedalat slow speed.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set off ebay from R1. I love them. 20k miles on them and the rotors stilllook brand new and the braking is significantly better.I couldn't be more pleased.

In fact, they messed up order and sent me TWO of everything so I have a complete NEW set of 4 rotors and pads and even a better price than Ebay, and less than 1/2 the price of the kit identified in the prior post. Send me an email if interested.

Oops...just noticed...yours is a 2001. Mine is an 2004 so I am not 100% sure of the fit. You can check throught R1 tho to be sure.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What sort of driving do you do, this will make a huge difference in the type of brakes to buy.
Stay away from the cheap copies on E-Bay, the slotted and drilled rotors are made from really crap alloy and the pads are nothing to write home about.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Three Wheeling

He guys I just found out today that I also need brakes, all around. javascript:void(AddText('[:@]'))

99.9% of my driving in on-road (occassionally spritedjavascript:void(AddText(''))).

The land rover service rep balked at me when I said I was going to order my parts and have them do the install. They told me that they have to be Land Rover parts or the 3 amigos will be on constantly. Is this true?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM
TReK

The land rover service rep balked at me when I said I was going to order my parts and have them do the install. They told me that they have to be Land Rover parts or the 3 amigos will be on constantly. Is this true?
NO!! Thats why some people call them the stealership. I'm guess you were planning on buying Land Rover parts anyways, just not from them as a dealer. If so then there is NO PROBLEM WITH THAT AT ALL! You can find perfect LR parts for much less than at the stealership and they will have the exact same results, because they are the SAME! Dont let them play you, some dealers just cant be trusted, others can be, but it sounds like yours is one of the evil ones.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Three Wheeling

What is your opinion on Cross Drilled or Drilled and Slotted rotors?

I like the look of them but if you and Disco Mike say they are not good for Disco II's, then I will go with your suggestion, ok?

Also given my driving type what kind of shocks do you suggest? I would like to get Bilsteins because I can get the shocks and the steering stabilizer as a set, what do you think?

Please Respond

Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I run DBA rotors and kevlar pads and swear by them.
If you want a good set of pads, go an buy some ceramic pads from Auto Zone, good price, stop well and little dust, oh also Life Time Warranty.

Quick Reply: brakes