Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes making loud squeeling/ a knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes making loud squeeling/ a knock

Iv got an 03 discovery 2, 83,000 miles. iv got a few questions. first off. i was driving the other day and i was coming to a stop sign at about 10 mph when the loudest brake squeel iv ever heard happened. also keep in mind about 5 months ago i had new brakes and rotors put on the front, its all i could do at that time, they told me i needed to change my rear brakes aswell, but i looked at my pads and they still had about 3/8 of a pad left on them. so i waited and forgot about it. then this squeel happened, when it did my dash went beep beep beep, then the parking brake, abs and tc lights came on i was almost home, got home, went inside changed my clothes and went out to a gig that i had that night, got in me vehcile started it up and the lights went out. this was on a thursday, when it happened i knew that i needed to go have my breaks changed in the back, i could tell thats where it was coming from. i looked at my pads and they had about 1/8 pad left on them, so i kept driving the vehicle and occasionally they would squeel and the lights come on, then when i cycled the ignition theyd always go out. well one night i was coming to a stop and the squeel happened but i head a loud knock and i felt it in my pedal, the lights came on, after i was done driving and the next time i got in my vehicle the lights were gone, then friday night i was pulling up to a stop in a gravel parkling lot the lights came on the knock happened and all the lights came on only this time the down hill descent light came on. saterday morning i took my vehicle and had the new breaks and rotors put on the back. of course the lights are still on but the breaks work great, now tho. when i hold on my break it slowly goes down which i know i should probably bleed my breaks but im not sure if what i have at the house i can do it with. but when i use my breaks like to slow down really fast there is times when the pedal seems as if my pads are giving way to something and the pedal has a mutliple really slight quit drops in it and i hear this very faint noise coming from under my dash, almost as if i put a playing card in a bicycle wheel spoke. its very strange events, i dont think its a wheel sensor or a hub, i have read about maybe my breaks need bleeding or that a shuttle valve could be bad, i have even read that if your sqeeling happens enough and the lights keep cycling that they will all jsut come on and stay on and that i have to just get the codes reset once the main problem is fixed? annny feedback would be much appreciated on this, thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The lights are known as the 3 amigos. The sound you hear is the ABS kicking in. Something is still not right. What brand of pads and rotors were put on? Were the rotors replaced in the front?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A really long run on sentence makes it very hard to understand your problem.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I started responding, then re-read to find he had replaced his rear brakes.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Drifting

the sound i hear isnt the abs i know what that sounds and feels like in the pedal. none of the break controls features are working. i can sit in a gravel parking lots and spin tires all day, or if i really slam on the breaks on pavement then my wheels lock up. im not sure what rotors or breaks they put on, national tire and battery did the work and i didnt ask

Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Drifting

would the fact that my lights kept coming on so frequently have made my computer jsut kick them on permanently, or would break lines that need bleeding cuase the lights. iv had the vehicle for 30,000 miles and never have bled or flushed the lines

Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

Land Rover says to flush the brake fluid every 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever is sooner.
If it does not get flushed then it will gum up the ABS modulator and it will not work.
So I would start there for the ABS issue.
As for the BRAKE noise, you need to find out how much BRAKE pad thickness you have left and make sure they are not grinding.
Go back to the shop and ask those guys (or look on your receipt) if they used semi metallic brake pads, if they did that is your problem with the high pitched squeal.

My wifes Volvo did the exact same thing with the noise, it had all brand new brake pads when we bought it, a year later they started squealing so bad people a mile away heard us.
Organic brand pads and new rotors took care of the problem.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Drifting

all the squeels went away after i had the breaks replaced. sorry if my pain post was confusing. i do know that they used ceramic pads on the back. all my lights were on before i had all the break work done.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

So the problem now is the ABS is not working?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Drifting

yes, none of the brake assisted features are, they stopped before i had the brakes replaced. now i jsut have to figure out how to get the lights gone

Quick Reply: brakes making loud squeeling/ a knock