Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes removal HELP Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes removal HELP Please!!

Hi guys,

I am replacing my front pads and rotors as I type. Everything was going fine until I tried to remove the assembly that holds the brake pads in place (the caliper was not a problem to take out) but it seems like two hex bolts? are use to secure this part.

Can somebody please tell me if this is truely a hex bolt and wheather is metric or english and what size bolts they are.

Thanks!

2004 DISCO HSE7

Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Brakes removal HELP Please!!

I looked at my manual, it shows a bracket that holds the caliper on. You do not need to remove the bracket. There are two hex bolts holding the caliper to the bracket. Loosen the upper bolt and remove the lower boltthen pivot the caliper up. Then you can remove the pads. You will need to push the pistons in the caliper. I usually use a big c clamp against an old brake pad to push them in. Ckeck your brake fluid level when your done.

Willie

Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Brakes removal HELP Please!!

I am not sure what the problem is. If you have already removed the caliper, then the pads should come right off. The caliper is bolted to the caliper bracket with 2, 12m bolts. remove these and tie the caliper out of the way so that it does not hang by the brake line. if you are changing rotors, then the caliper bracket is bolted to the spindle by two larger bolts. Use a 12pt socket for these (not sure what size). when that is removed, use a #4 posi drive bit to remove the rotor retaining screw. some people suggest using a hand impact screwdriver as these screws sometimes are difficult to remove (I have'nt had to use one). The rotor may need some encouragement. Harbor Frieght tools sells a 8" 3pt puller that removes siezed rotors like butter (Better than beating your rotor with a hammer). and thats it, instalation is reverse of removal. By the way, USE A TORQUE WRENCH WHEN INTALLING EVERYTHING INCLUDING PUTTING THE RIM BACK ON. Good luck

Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake and Rotor Torque

My CD reader on the computer is toast, so I can't read my Rave CD. Can someone please let me know the proper torque for the calipers, Rotor locator bolt, and the lug nuts on the wheels?

I have an '04 Disco II and am in the process of replacing rotors and pads, and was unable to get my CD reader to work.

I have done a ton of brake jobs over the years on various vehicles, but never the rover, so if there are any tricks etc., always appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Nothing different on your Rover over a Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc.
Just make sure that everything is tight.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Mudding

Do you have the torque specs?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Nope.
I never torque my brakes, wheel lugs, nothing, make it tight and your all good.
I guarentee that knowbody torques anything, not even the dealer torques the calipers.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I torque everything that is given a value.

Attached Thumbnails  Brakes removal HELP Please!!-brake-torques.jpg  

Last edited by antichrist; 06-21-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Mudding

Thank you. I am a torque by the numbers guy too.

Cheers,
J

Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Mudding

By the way, perhaps one of the faster brake jobs I have done. Had the new rotors and pads on in an hour... super easy.... Thanks for all the help here.

Quick Reply: Brakes removal HELP Please!!