Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing shine and color back to those faded fairings, door handles and mirrors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing shine and color back to those faded fairings, door handles and mirrors.

Does anyone know of a good product that has long lasting effects to make all my plastics look new and not weathered anymore?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use mothers back to black stuff and it works for about a week. Best shot with the plastics is sanding and repainting with plastic approved paint.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black shoe polish works pretty good and last a while.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2 Paint

Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the wolf chemical trim sealant on both the rover and my audi. Works very well and lasts, but you need to make sure th plastic is über clean before the first application. Otherwise it doesnt seal properly.

wolf trim sealant.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I swear by the Rustolium truck bed liner spray can. I sprayed my wheel arches now 2 years ago. Still looks great. I'll find my link. Also painted my rear bumper with it too. you must sand the wheel arches, but it took fine to plastic. Its not cheap at $7.50 per can but it lasts. Much better than the Rustoilum Professional flat silver cans.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...26/#post193778

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...o-drool-45914/

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Forever black: Products - Forever Black Car Care Products

Easier than painting, lasts much longer than "Back to Black" since it actually dyes the plastic.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been using the forever black as well. I really like the look. It's been on a few weeks and looks great but I can't really say how it will last especially with local weather conditions.

It looks new. It does not look painted. Prep as always is very important. I use a very strong cleaner made for rust proofing.

I can detect a little streak but it's not really noticeable and I think I got better with the second application.

Attached Thumbnails Bringing shine and color back to those faded fairings, door handles and mirrors.-390.jpg  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I swear by the Rustolium truck bed liner spray can. I sprayed my wheel arches now 2 years ago. Still looks great. I'll find my link. Also painted my rear bumper with it too. you must sand the wheel arches, but it took fine to plastic. Its not cheap at $7.50 per can but it lasts. Much better than the Rustoilum Professional flat silver cans.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...26/#post193778

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...o-drool-45914/

cant wait to do my wheel arches like that.

ooops. what I meant to say is I can't wait to do my wheel arches with bedliner spray. i think i'll go with forever black on that as well. another tone of black would be messy for me.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 01-03-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use "Black Wow" and it is great. It last a LONG time, and I really only need to apply when I wax. It is pricey but the bottle lasts a very long time. I bought a Saab 9-3 convertible for the summer a couple years ago, and it had tons of black plastic trim the previous owner just waxed over (all white and faded). This stuff worked amazing. I also use it on the CX-9 which has some plastic trim around the wheel arches, sills and below the bumpers. That car was new so it was not faded, but it gives it a nice look. You only use a very small amount each time.
Black Wow Application Video - YouTube

Quick Reply: Bringing shine and color back to those faded fairings, door handles and mirrors.