Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Door Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken Door Lock?

I just bought a 99 Disco 2, from a female friend. She told me I would not be able to lock the doors. I have researched the issue & first thought it was the atcuators. I took it to a dealership & they said I need to replace all the latches at $400 a pop. The latches still click, just won't release the locks. I just went and put the key in the door & it did a 360. Is the key suppose to be able to do that? And also, does this sound like the source of the problem? If so, what do I do next to fix this problem?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

That is your problem, I would suggest you replace the drivers door latch, buy a used one from Roverlandparts.com.
You might want to PM me this morning with your tele number and I can walk you thru this.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Get in touch with Mike, he can walk you through this over the phone easily. Then post your results back on here so others can get the info.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:55 AM
3rd Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks you guys. Finally, some straight talk! I called a locksmith tonight to replace the lock will that be of any help. My thinking is since the latched are clicking the problem lies in the lock. Does that make any sense? Or should I hold off until I talk with disco mike?

Old 05-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Careful with those "female friends"... that's how I ended up with my Disco and have put over $1000 in parts into it!! (I'll bet she said, "it only needs a couple things.." lol)
But yes, talk to Mike. The last thing you want to do is start throwing parts and money at it. You don't want to tear into the door panel anymore than you have to. I have a Disco 1 and replaced the door handle and latch... was about an all day project.

Eric

Old 05-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Never buy a car from a woman, they never take care of them, to busy putting on my makeup to pay attention to my car...I mean she's to busy...ah forget it.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:26 AM
3rd Gear

Ha! No she only neglected to tell me one little bitty thing - the radiator was full of water! Other than that, she did pretty good with the upkeep

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by roverblk22
Ha! No she only neglected to tell me one little bitty thing - the radiator was full of water! Other than that, she did pretty good with the upkeep
LOL!! That is exactly what I am talking about, you will need a new water pump soon because the bearings in it were not lubricated when she had water in it.
You can run water for a few hundred miles but not long term, one of the many things that engine coolant does is lubricate the waterpump bearings.

I am not bashing your friend or woman in general, I love women, especially nak...

Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default door key doesn't work....

As you know, there is only one key access on a DII, the driver's door. I bought a new to me 2001 DII last week, I have been taking care of little things, and creating bigger things for the last several days. I bought an additional remote, the truck only came with one. I haven't had time to have it programmed yet. I thought that I would try the key just for kicks, the key just spins 360 in the lock......What gives? can you get a new tumbler, do you need an entire new lock? Any ideas? I noted this post with a similar issue but no report on the outcome. Thanks Phil

99 DI Oxford Blue 98k miles
01 DII Oslo Blue 74k miles

Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
That is your problem, I would suggest you replace the drivers door latch, buy a used one from Roverlandparts.com.
You might want to PM me this morning with your tele number and I can walk you thru this.
Mike, I am having the same problems, my driver's side door is shut, and will not unlock or lock. The door handle does not work, the outside key does not work and I know it is not super locked as I can still hear the super lock bolt engage and disengage. I have the door panel pulled back as much as possible but cannot seem to get the actuator to disengage. Can anyone offer advice? THanks

Quick Reply: Broken Door Lock?