Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken front driveshaft - Should it still pull itself?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken front driveshaft - Should it still pull itself?

I have a 2000 Discovery II that just ticked over 100k miles. This past weekend the front driveshaft broke at the U joint on the transfer case end. The rear driveshaft is still in place and looks just fine. I am ordering a replacement driveshaft, but I did notice that the vehicle will not pull itself with the front driveshaft unhooked. Also in Park the vehicle still rolls freely. Is something more serious wrong that just the broken driveshaft, or is this normal behavior for this type of transfer case / diff?

Old 10-24-2006, 01:00 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Broken front driveshaft - Should it still pull itself?

Yeah, unless you can lock the centre diff it's not going anywhere.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You can drive it if you want to go under the truck with a wrench and manually engge the CDL, then you can drive the truck while waiting for a replacement shaft. By the way, who did you buy the new shaft from?
Mike

Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks a million you guys. That's what I hoped was the case but I needed to hear it from someone else.

I am a little strapped at the moment so I had to go with a used part. I had a hell of a time finding one, so I finally went with a site that apparently networks a bunch of salvage yards together. I ended up getting the complete drive shaft for $250 including shipping. I normally get everything from Atlantic British and love their products and service so far, but like I say my wallet couldn't take the hit this time around.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Make sure you inspect the used drive shaft before installing. Make sure the new shaft has u-joints in that double card housing that have grease fitting, or you will need to replace them prior to installing th drive shaft. Also lube all the fittings including the slip shaft before you install it.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Mudding

Hi, same problem today with my 1999 Discovery II. Can you please clarify how to get this thing driving again while I wait for the part? I apologize but I am not smart on the acronyms. Thank you!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm a bit confused by your post Aaron. For your $250, do you get a newly overhauled driveshaft with new joints or do youget a used one with used, non-greasable joints? If the latter, there's a newly overhauled one on craigslist in Denver posted by a local driveline shopfor $300. You'd be better off going that route and paying the shipping.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/485960750.html

Cheers,
Dave

Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Rock Crawling

FYI, Geotrash and anyone else w/ an '04, when replacing your front driveshaft the part is different than the other Disco's. It's actually a slightly longer shaft than that on the other Disco II's, and accordingly more expensive. Had mine replaced about 2k ago, under warranty so it's a stock LR shaft w/out grease fittings. I plan on replacing the rear joints w/ greasable fittings in the spring.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

The new 04 drive shafts finally have grease fittings from Rover, took them long enough. Also I would think the new longer shaft would be great for a lifted truck.

"Hi, same problem today with my 1999 Discovery II. Can you please clarify how to get this thing driving again while I wait for the part? I apologize but I am not smart on the acronyms. Thank you!" Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a picture of the t/case and what to turn to engage your CDL.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
pgk
Three Wheeling
Default Engage Disco II CDL

Can you send me the picture of the t/case so I can engage my cdl. It is a 1999 disco II whose front drive shaft broke today. My email address is pgkraemeriii@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The new 04 drive shafts finally have grease fittings from Rover, took them long enough. Also I would think the new longer shaft would be great for a lifted truck.

"Hi, same problem today with my 1999 Discovery II. Can you please clarify how to get this thing driving again while I wait for the part? I apologize but I am not smart on the acronyms. Thank you!" Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a picture of the t/case and what to turn to engage your CDL.