Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken piston

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012 | 02:47 PM
|
4wd High
Default Broken piston

First time poster, long time browser! This board helped me through my first head gasket replacement a few years back but I'm running up against a few obstacles this time around that I need some help with.

I have a 2000 Disco II torn down to the block. Sent the heads off to get them resurfaced and to have a valve job done. Just got them back from the machine shop today and while I was cleaning the block and cylinder heads, one of the pistons heads pushed all the way into the cylinder. None of the other pistons moved. Do I have a broken piston? What are my next steps to further investigate?

Thanks!!!

Old 12-05-2012 | 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures might help. Do you mean one of the pistons touches the cylinder head? The pistons will be at different places, so if that's what you mean it's normal.

Last edited by jafir; 12-05-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2012 | 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench

When you say "pushed all the way into the cylinder" do you mean it went down into the block?

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:06 PM
Rock Crawling

pull the sump and check from underneath....

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Take a 24mm socket and attach it to a wrench, attach it to the crank pulley and rotate the crank while looking at the pistons.

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:20 PM
|
4wd High

Yes, exactly. I'm going to to try DustyLBottoms suggestion and try to rotate the crank.

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:32 PM
|
4wd High

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
Take a 24mm socket and attach it to a wrench, attach it to the crank pulley and rotate the crank while looking at the pistons.
Ok, while doing this all of the pistons move freely except this one. It did push to the top of the block but wasn't pulled back in like the other pistons. Upon pushing it in manually, it would push back out after a few turns on the crank shaft. Could the push rod have detached from the piston head?

http://redmeatdesign.com/disco/IMG_3286.JPG
http://redmeatdesign.com/disco/IMG_3287.JPG

Last edited by Scott Crutcher; 12-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2012 | 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Scott Crutcher
Ok, while doing this all of the pistons move freely except this one. It did push to the top of the block but wasn't pulled back in like the other pistons. Upon pushing it in manually, it would push back out after a few turns on the crank shaft. Could the push rod have detached from the piston head?
Sounds bad. Perhaps the connecting rod big end cap or bolts broke? Or as you say maybe the piston head disconnected, though I think that would be more severe of an issue. Either way, you'll probably want to pull the oil pan off to be sure... and you'll probably need a rebuild.

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Scott Crutcher
Not a "push rod", it's a connecting Rod. But yes, something's broken. Now it's time to pull the oil pan and see what's going on.

Old 12-05-2012 | 03:44 PM
|
4wd High

Originally Posted by DustyLBottoms
Not a "push rod", it's a connecting Rod. But yes, something's broken. Now it's time to pull the oil pan and see what's going on.
Thanks for the reply, I'll pull the oil pan and see what I find.

Quick Reply: Broken piston