Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Browsing wrecking yards

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Browsing wrecking yards

I found a 2004 transfer case with the linkage for $525 CDN, you guys think that is a fair price? I'm really looking for 16x8 wheels, which I'm not having luck finding for a decent price. Most places want over $200 CDN each!

Old 11-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Twix
I found a 2004 transfer case with the linkage for $525 CDN, you guys think that is a fair price? I'm really looking for 16x8 wheels, which I'm not having luck finding for a decent price. Most places want over $200 CDN each!
If that linkage goes all the way to a shifter I think the $525 is an un charitable yet market price.

Is the 200 for stock Disco wheels? If so, I call that outrageous. I bought 8 for fifty bucks each once, and there were lots of different people selling them for the same (ebay) at the time.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

I've read, on this forum, that you need to get the TCU (Trans Control Unit) from under the drivers seat...in order to elimate issues with TC and ABS lights from coming on, while activating the CDL.

Brian.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

It's not the TCU that's needed, it's the SLABS computer which is mounted behind the glove box.

Without a newer SLABS box from an '03 or '04 the Three Amigos will illuminate if the truck is started with the CDL engaged. (They don't come on if you engage the CDL with the truck running.) If you're getting the T-case and shifter from an '04 you might as well go ahead and get the SLABS box too.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
It's not the TCU that's needed, it's the SLABS computer which is mounted behind the glove box.

Without a newer SLABS box from an '03 or '04 the Three Amigos will illuminate if the truck is started with the CDL engaged. (They don't come on if you engage the CDL with the truck running.) If you're getting the T-case and shifter from an '04 you might as well go ahead and get the SLABS box too.
Thanks, for clarifying.

Could have sworn I watched a video of someone removing the computer below the seat...but after a while...all of this info gets confusing...lol.

Brian.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can't get the slabs off a newer d2 for whatever reason you can always cut the wire that sends signal for the cdl. That's how I have mine set up and it seems to work great. I can turn off my car while cdl is engaged and turn it on and all my systems are still active. There is a write up on it somewhere, might still have the link. It's very simple and easy to get to. If you ever wanted to purposely disengage the traction control you can even install a switch to the wire to do so.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mln01

How Hard is it to replace the slabs unit?
Thanks
Micko

Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

Easy. A bit tedious due to all the steps involved but in no way difficult. Just follow the RAVE instructions.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:55 PM
lwg
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rlozano
If you can't get the slabs off a newer d2 for whatever reason you can always cut the wire that sends signal for the cdl. That's how I have mine set up and it seems to work great. I can turn off my car while cdl is engaged and turn it on and all my systems are still active. There is a write up on it somewhere, might still have the link. It's very simple and easy to get to. If you ever wanted to purposely disengage the traction control you can even install a switch to the wire to do so.
Alternatively you can just leave it as is. I just have to remember to disengage the T-case when turning off the truck. Otherwise its an additional restart to clear the error.

Additionally one benefit is that I can disengage the ABS if needed for things like backing down a slippery slope. Nothing worse than ABS engaging when backing down a scary hill...

Old 11-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
If that linkage goes all the way to a shifter I think the $525 is an un charitable yet market price.

Is the 200 for stock Disco wheels? If so, I call that outrageous. I bought 8 for fifty bucks each once, and there were lots of different people selling them for the same (ebay) at the time.
Yep. $200. Per. Wheel. And that was the cheapest ONE I found. Others ranged from $225 to $275 each. There was an odd one at $335. 18x8 Hurricanes were cheaper, but still expensive.

Quick Reply: Browsing wrecking yards