Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Bumper Is the best for 2003 discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015 | 01:57 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Which Bumper Is the best for 2003 discovery?

I was going to pick from tactical rovers, ARB, or the platinum bumper. Any thoughts? Always heard the ARB mounting is terrible so that was pushing me to a tactical rovers bumper. Anyone hear otherwise?

Old 10-14-2015 | 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

The Arb mounts using crush cans which can fold and roll under winch loads or recovery.

The tactical and the Platinum are a wash mount wise, that comes down to looks and cash.

Old 10-14-2015 | 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 10-14-2015 | 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

That bumper was ugly as sin, and mounted extremely poorly. Yes I know the aesthetics are a personnel opinion.

Old 10-14-2015 | 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ARB, there is no other.

Old 10-14-2015 | 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Actually I like TJM a lot better

Old 10-14-2015 | 10:34 PM
Camel Trophy

What are your objectives, and what are your limitations?

I had an ARB on my truck for many years and grew to dislike it. An accident (my son got rear ended and pushed into the car in front of him) damaged the ARB crush cans and gave me the opportunity and incentive to sell the ARB. I then chose the Terrafirma.

ARB pros - No cutting of the grill or support structure needed to mount the bumper or the bumper and a winch.

ARB cons - The ARB extends further forward than other bumpers, which hurts the approach angle, and which frankly, to me, ended up looking goofy from other than a head-on angle after a few years (the vertical support structure of the ARB is by far the best looking from head-on IMO. It integrates with the vertical lines of the grill instead of introducing diagonal lines.)

The factory crush cans can and do deform with hard winching and with even a moderate frontal impact. (Specific examples are my son's rear-ended incident and another local owner who hit a deer on the way to work earlier this year. Both incidents not only deformed the crush cans but the bumper flexed enough that the light mount brackets on the top of the ARB brush guard made four dimples in the hood.)

Tactical Rovers - When I decided to dump (sell) the ARB, the Tactical Rovers bumper was on my short list. To me it's in between the ARB and the Terrafirma. It extends forward less than the ARB but further than the Terrafirma. That gives more protection to the front end than the TF, which may be an important consideration for some. It gives good clearance and better approach angles than the ARB and is, to me at least, better looking than the ARB (except for the straight on view mentioned above).

Platinum - I didn't look carefully at the Platinum.

Terrafirma - I ended up going with the Terrafirma due largely to its relatively "minimalist" looks and it offering the best approach angle I know of. (Approach angle may be less important to many than other considerations). In the end I am happy with the Terrafirma although its quality control was a BIG, BIG problem (see another thread started by me Summer 2015 for details) as was the vendor's complete and utter dismissal of my problems (also detailed in my Summer 2015 Terrafirma thread). In fact, my problems with the company from which I bought the Terrafirma gives me great pause about buying the Platinum or any other product from them.

The downsides of the Terrafirma (assuming its basic fitment isn't a problem; no small issue IMO) are that it requires cutting of the grill to be fitted at all (on '99-'02 DIIs, not on '03-'04s) and that it requires cutting of the grill to mount and use a winch (on all DIIs). Its most positive attribute is its looks. It simply hugs the front end of the DII much as the stock bumper does, but it therefore doesn't appear to offer as much protection as the other bumpers that extend further from the DII hood.

Good luck making a good decision based on your needs and circumstances. And please, please come back to us with your decision and rationales. Help us learn.

Last edited by mln01; 05-27-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2015 | 10:13 AM
Baja

the issue i had with the TF bumper is no place for lights and the below average power coating.
I did see Rovers North has one quite similar to the TF bumper with adjustable Led driving/flood lights , cut out for headlight washers, jack and recovery point for under $600

Old 10-15-2015 | 09:44 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Frank4
ARB, there is no other.
I do admit, I love the look of ARB the only thing turning me away from it is the mounting. I don't like the crush can system they use, a ton of people say they warp and bend.

Old 10-15-2015 | 09:45 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Actually I like TJM a lot better
those TJMs are pretty nice, I will add that to my list!

Quick Reply: Which Bumper Is the best for 2003 discovery?