Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Bumper or not to Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 07:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Location: Charles Town, WV, originally from Central Valley, California
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Bumper or not to Bumper

Greetings all. I am at the unfortunate stage where I will be selling my D2 soon. Almost all the recommended service/mods have been done. My dilemma is that the front original bumper has cracked and been repaired and looks a bit hanky. Would it be better to replace the bumper with a steel one (and which style)? Or discount the sale price? I know the ultimate decision is mine but any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Regards, Art.
"03 Disco !! SE7 w/144K miles

Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

If i am not mistaken, a steel bumper requires stiffer springs. Unless you are doing both bumpers, I would think the mis-match does more harm than good. Plus it is unlikely that you get dollar for dollar on the sale. I would let the buyer decide if they are going to off road it or not.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Location: Charles Town, WV, originally from Central Valley, California
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

RedRover, that's what I was thinking as well. My choice of a bumper may not be someone else's. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Aftermarket add on's don't up the resale by as much as you put in to them in the first place. Let the next owner decide what they want. It might help the sale to have some options laid out for them though.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:15 PM
Winching
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Problem with the steel bumper is this. Sure it's cheaper but they really don't look good without a steering/sump guard. So that adds to the price. Then the choice of a winch or not. If someone buys it and it has a steel bumper I would think most people would want a winch or be able to put one one it. So if you buy the winch to make it more attractive that adds on to the cost.

Best solution is to find a used one.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I have bought 16, sold 10. Most people, even people buying 20 yo D2's do not want projects. None of my buyers have ever replaced their bumpers after buying from me (I stay in touch with most of them).

A couple other points.

I get compliments on my steel bumper truck all the time, and the rest of the truck looks like it was drug through the woods on its side.

Steel bumper does not require new front springs, no matter which brand you get, even with a winch.

I think the value of not having a cracked front bumper exceeds the cost of replacing your cracked bumper.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoTanB
Greetings all. I am at the unfortunate stage where I will be selling my D2 soon. Almost all the recommended service/mods have been done. My dilemma is that the front original bumper has cracked and been repaired and looks a bit hanky. Would it be better to replace the bumper with a steel one (and which style)? Or discount the sale price? I know the ultimate decision is mine but any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Regards, Art.
"03 Disco !! SE7 w/144K miles

keep what you have your going to spend money on a steel bumper and the new buyer probably won’t appreciate the value

Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

If you don't replace the bumper ask about 500.00 more than what you want to sell it for. Then if they say something you have room to work with vs going negative on the deal.

Last edited by Best4x4; 11-21-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Edited for Frank4
Old 11-20-2020, 11:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
All depends on the price you're after. If you sell a D2 which is sorted with the exception of a cracked or broken to bits F/R bumper you will loose money IMHO. KBB and NADA prices are no longer relevant on an 87-04 RRC/D1/D2. If anyone sells a good condition RRC/D1/D2 for KBB/NADA prices = they're a complete fool IMHO. Clean D1/D2's are getting up there in price with 5500.00 being the base price these days 7,500 being in the middle, and I've seen as high as 12-14k D2's and they sell pretty quickly. Of coarse they are far from bone stock, but they're all well taken care of with no issues.

I've never ever sold a single vehicle in my entire life that was in bad shape. Every single vehicle was completely road legal, with good or new tires, good battery, all lights worked, no engine issues or heck even a CEL. I always got the $$$$ I was asking for them and I really never had but a few people try to nickle and dime me (like one guy trying to tell me to take off 600.00 for a 2nd D2 remote as I only had 1). Most knew what they were looking at, admired the condition of the vehicle, and like Extinct said earlier I am still in contact with a lot of the people I sold my vehicles to.

If you want top $$$$ a 450.00 bumper will certainly help. Or try to locate a good used condition OEM one.

Bumper wise for me I recently got an extremely fantastic deal from some great people in Spring, TX. They had a super clean 03 HSE D2 and they'd planned on their daughter driving it, but she got a Toyota Camry so the D2 wasn't being used. The owner decided since 2020 has been so hard on people to donate it and just get a tax refund from it. It had very nice metal F/R bumpers on it, and thru a friend I was able to swap out the HD steel bumpers for a pair of OEM plastic ones for just a case of beer. My 99 D2 has been needing a HD metal rear bumper for a while now (OEM bumper had one crack, but it hadn't exploded into bits yet). So that got taken care of and once I figure out how to re-secure my limb risers on my 97 XD I plan on putting that HD metal bumper on there. It's a non winch bumper, but it has a nice pair of built in fog lights, and it also came with a pair of the swivel hooks which are like 79.00 each if I'm not mistaken.

The metal bumper up front won't require new springs. You'll loose enough weight with the OEM gone along with that lower front bumper support that you might only add 50LB to it, if that. The only thing "some" aftermarket HD metal bumpers make look fugly on a D2 = the washer bottle is sometimes exposed. You can paint it black, modify it, or get a bumper like the TF unit which has a little skid plate which completely hides it. ARB, TJM, and a few others = you never see the washer bottle. I have never had a single person tell me they prefer the OEM bumpers to the HD metal ones in TX. I think everyone around here knows a deer, a turkey, or heck even a large TX grasshopper = will totally ruin the OEM bumper.

Whatever you do DO NOT trade your LR in anywhere! You'd be better off just mailing me the keys and knowing your LR went to a good home lol. If you don't replace the bumper ask about 500.00 more than what you want to sell it for. Then if they say something you have room to work with vs going negative on the deal.

christ.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Better Frank4??

Last edited by Best4x4; 11-21-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: To Bumper or not to Bumper