Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burned center diff fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Burned center diff fluid?

After reading abour the different kinds of gear oils and the stories about the plastic fill plug breaking on the diffs, I waited to get all the parts before doing anything that might sideline the rover. I finally decided on Amsoil Severe Gear and found some new brass plugs for the diffs. Well, I drained the the front diff and to my surprise, the fluid looked as if it was brand new, with just a minor amount of gunk stuck to the magnet on the drain plug. I went to the rear diff and found the same, and was beginning to think I had wasted some time and money, especially since both the plastic fill plugs were fine, and the $50+ I Spent for new brass plugs was probably not needed. Anyway I went to the center diff and pulled the drain plug, expecting to see the same, new looking fluid and instead found a thin, black fluid pour out in just a few seconds. I think it may have been dirty automatic transmission fluid it was so thin, but it's hard to be sure. Has anyone else noticed the center diff turning the fluid black like this?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have bean REALLY old. My front diff fluid looked like coffee the first time I changed it, worse yet the rear looked like milk(water mixed in). I haven't had any prob's with mine since refilling. Dont forget to check the swivel pin housings, using grease instead of gear lube

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

T/case use only gear oil, not ATF, if it is fried, you have a problem. How much fluid came out, exactly what did the magnetic mud on the drain plug look like, any chunks or shinny metal slivers?

Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Mudding

What is the swivel pin housing exactly?

Mike, the magnetic mud was definitely different than what was on the front and rear diff plugs. There wasn't really any mud, just a few shiny slivers of metal. I didn't measure what came out, but it seemed like a lot, just very thin fluid. I almost wonder if when the previous owner had the trans fluid changed about a year ago the shop may have also put tranny fluid in the center diff. Anyway, it does seem to run fine. What would I listen or look for to know if something is wrong?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:17 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to tell what type of oil it was by the smell, gear oil has a distinctive smell. The slivers of metal does not bode well for the life of your transfer case. What weight oil did you add? You may want to upgrade to 80w-145 for better protection if you did not already.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Mudding

I didn't really smell it, it drained into the same pan the diff fluid went into. I put 75/90W in it, but I'll probably let this run awhile and switch to the heavier oil.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As DiscoWest asked, What is the Swivel Pin, and where are they located... just something i should check out... I have heard about them but dont know what they are

Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There is no swivel assembly on the front of a D2, only on D1',s Classics and Defenders.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DII's have CV joints like on a front wheel drive car, that is where the front axle shafts mate to the front wheels, it is what allows the front wheels to get power and still turn.

The DI has a swivel ball, it is a big metal ball with all the ball bearings and stuff that allow the front wheels to be under power and still turn.
It looks like this...
http://roverparts.com/Parts/FTC5105.cfm
As long as it is properly lubed it will last this side of forever.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
There is no swivel assembly on the front of a D2, only on D1',s Classics and Defenders.
Ahhhh, Okay, good to know, thanks Mike!

Quick Reply: Burned center diff fluid?