Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil Odor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

it would end up taking you 8 hours to tighten the 8 valve cover bolts. that is why you just go ahead and replace all of the gaskets and get some new VC bolts with threadlock and Orings. Its probably a bigger job than you want to take on and its going to cost a pretty penny on mechanic time. Wait another 6-months or a year and by then the cyl-head gaskets may be on their way out and you can do a proper top-end refresh b/c you are eventually going to need injectors with new O-rings, manifold gaskets, VC pcv separator, vac' tubing, so on. and of course, cyl head gaskets; that is just a guarantee.

your sig says something about HG but I assume that is on a dif' truck as VC gasket wouldn't be failing so soon. or someone did a half-a$$ job of it which would really **** me off.

also: the synthetic oil is possibly the bane of your oil leak problems. you should be running dino oil in that dinosaur. either way, most owners find that synthetic is good about finding its way out. I just assume from all the threads and questions I have seen regarding this. It will run better with slower seepage on some 15w/40; its the go-to.

Last edited by chubbs878; 03-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Also, you have mentioned about a misfire. If you think doing this gasket replacement, it might save you a lot of time and headache to get into the coil packs while you are there, if you do so. Tune up will be great as well.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
it would end up taking you 8 hours to tighten the 8 valve cover bolts. that is why you just go ahead and replace all of the gaskets and get some new VC bolts with threadlock and Orings. Its probably a bigger job than you want to take on and its going to cost a pretty penny on mechanic time. Wait another 6-months or a year and by then the cyl-head gaskets may be on their way out and you can do a proper top-end refresh b/c you are eventually going to need injectors with new O-rings, manifold gaskets, VC pcv separator, vac' tubing, so on. and of course, cyl head gaskets; that is just a guarantee.

your sig says something about HG but I assume that is on a dif' truck as VC gasket wouldn't be failing so soon. or someone did a half-a$$ job of it which would really **** me off.

also: the synthetic oil is possibly the bane of your oil leak problems. you should be running dino oil in that dinosaur. either way, most owners find that synthetic is good about finding its way out. I just assume from all the threads and questions I have seen regarding this. It will run better with slower seepage on some 15w/40; its the go-to.
I'm going to tighten them and see what happens. That was the advice that Spike555 and DiscoMike have given others on this forum and it solved their issue. 'Tighten the bolts with every oil change'. Granted I can't do the inside bolts but I can at least try the outside, right? It's better than nothing. I'll tighten, clean it and see what happens and go from there. If that doesn't fix it I'll schedule a tune-up and overhaul at the local independent shop for this autumn.

The head gaskets were worked on 3 1/2 years ago by a highly knowledgeable forum member here who doesn't do anything half-a$$. It's the same truck. I think he'd prefer that I work on my own issues, hence why I haven't contacted him. I'll change the oil to a thicker viscosity for summer, tighten the bolts and if all else fails, take it in. I'm a woman - not a miracle worker. I'll leave big fixes like this to someone who knows what they are doing. I think it's fair to say that guys enjoy this kind of thing. Stereotyping perhaps but.. really, seriously.. don't mind getting dirty but taking my engine apart may end with me standing in a pool of parts and tears. Just watching the head gaskets being done had my head spinning.

Oh.. LR03NJ.. I don't know if I had a misfire. I was asking what it feels like because while I was taking photos yesterday I poked around a bit with the spark plugs and then later in the day when I pushed the pedal down to accelerate the Rover gave a powerful groan and jerked rapidly. It felt like it was going to take off in a race on me (sudden rapid acceleration). I kind of liked it haha (damn it would be nice if my Rover had pick-up like that!) but also surprised me so I promptly took my foot of the gas, braked and everything settled down.

Thanks again for all advice.

Christina

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 03-20-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
I'm going to tighten them and see what happens. That was the advice that Spike555 and DiscoMike have given others on this forum and it solved their issue. 'Tighten the bolts with every oil change'. Granted I can't do the inside bolts but I can at least try the outside, right? It's better than nothing. I'll tighten, clean it and see what happens and go from there. If that doesn't fix it I'll schedule a tune-up and overhaul at the local independent shop for this autumn.

The head gaskets were worked on 3 1/2 years ago by a highly knowledgeable forum member here who doesn't do anything half-a$$. It's the same truck. I think he'd prefer that I work on my own issues, hence why I haven't contacted him. I'll change the oil to a thicker viscosity for summer, tighten the bolts and if all else fails, take it in. I'm a woman - not a miracle worker. I'll leave big fixes like this to someone who knows what they are doing. I think it's fair to say that guys enjoy this kind of thing. Stereotyping perhaps but.. really, seriously.. don't mind getting dirty but taking my engine apart may end with me standing in a pool of parts and tears. Just watching the head gaskets being done had my head spinning.

Oh.. LR03NJ.. I don't know if I had a misfire. I was asking what it feels like because while I was taking photos yesterday I poked around a bit with the spark plugs and then later in the day when I pushed the pedal down to accelerate the Rover gave a powerful groan and jerked rapidly. It felt like it was going to take off in a race on me (sudden rapid acceleration). I kind of liked it haha (damn it would be nice if my Rover had pick-up like that!) but also surprised me so I promptly took my foot of the gas, braked and everything settled down.

Thanks again for all advice.

Christina
A misfire Christina is a bit of a 'stutter' (depends how many cylinders are misfiring) or it feels like the engine 'pulling back' when it should/wants go on the throttle.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-20-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Called and got a quote on a tune-up and valve cover gasket change. $868. I don't know.. after watching the Atlantic British video $868 seems reasonable and well deserved haha.. there are SO many parts to remove and keep track of it's MIND BOGGLING to think that Atlantic British considers Valve Cover gaskets routine maintenance.

I have oil all over the back of the engine - that definitely is the source of my burning oil smell (dripping on EM). I feel like a dunce but am trying to figure out which four bolts to tighten for the stupid VCG. Most people complain about finding the 12 point socket in the right size. I'm going to complain about finding the outside bolts. I really hate mechanical stuff. It's not my forte.

Oh and to sweeten my week I stopped and got a quote for body work on some rust and the guy quoted me $3-$4k. 'You need a new panel for that part..' he said. So then I asked 'well what if I find a panel that is in good condition?' and he said 'tell you what.. to save you the hassle of chasing down a panel I can do a patch weld and sand it down, paint it, blah, blah and save you some money.' I then went on to show him my back rear hatch that also needed a little TLC. (very minimal work.. don't know what he's thinking) and he quoted me anywhere from $1500 to $3000 for everything depending on 'how much time he has to invest in it...'

I said to him 'it would be nice if this were a win/win' There's a huge difference between $1500 and $3000.

Needless to say I'm avoiding responsibility today, have eaten a pan of brownies and hate the world.

not really but you get the drift.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:44 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

" I feel like a dunce but am trying to figure out which four bolts to tighten for the stupid VCG."

Look on the sides of the valve covers and you will see a recess where the bolts live. Whatever you do DON'T go nuts torqueing these bolts down. If they break then it's a bigger, unwanted problem. Have a look at the pics to see the bolt locations. The outer bolts are not hard to get to, the inners can be a PITA.

IMHO, the quote is high and with a little help from this Nut House you can replace the VC gaskets and do a Tune-Up yourself. If you step back (or knock a few back ) I think you might agree. Cheers!

Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OverRover

" I feel like a dunce but am trying to figure out which four bolts to tighten for the stupid VCG."

Look on the sides of the valve covers and you will see a recess where the bolts live. Whatever you do DON'T go nuts torqueing these bolts down. If they break then it's a bigger, unwanted problem. Have a look at the pics to see the bolt locations. The outer bolts are not hard to get to, the inners can be a PITA.

IMHO, the quote is high and with a little help from this Nut House you can replace the VC gaskets and do a Tune-Up yourself. If you step back (or knock a few back ) I think you might agree. Cheers!
Well now I'm just feeling REALLY silly Thank you

I'll heed your advice and go easy on the grip. I asked the tech what a tune-up involved and he said 'spark plugs, engine air filter and one other filter' (wrote it down at work). I'm assuming the majority of the quote was for the valve cover gaskets. Yes I probably could do it if I put my mind to it, rented a vehicle for the days I had it torn apart. My husband wants it done professionally.. I swear I feel like role reversal on this forum, haha.. at least I'm not hiding a parts car from him

Thanks again, I'll report back when I'm done!

C-

Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Well now I'm just feeling REALLY silly Thank you

I'll heed your advice and go easy on the grip. I asked the tech what a tune-up involved and he said 'spark plugs, engine air filter and one other filter' (wrote it down at work). I'm assuming the majority of the quote was for the valve cover gaskets. Yes I probably could do it if I put my mind to it, rented a vehicle for the days I had it torn apart. My husband wants it done professionally.. I swear I feel like role reversal on this forum, haha.. at least I'm not hiding a parts car from him

Thanks again, I'll report back when I'm done!

C-
My husband wants it done professionally..

what an unbeliever ...............we all have every faith in you Christina

Old 03-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
My husband wants it done professionally..

what an unbeliever ...............we all have every faith in you Christina
"Total stupidity always listen to good advice and do what you're told by the 'boss' . "

Last edited by Friday Night Disco; 03-25-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
"Total stupidity always listen to good advice and do what you're told by the 'boss' . "
I do listen to the boss - most of the time. I just have a hard time implementing his advice on fun topics such as Rovers, dieting and money. One typically leads to the other. Rovers = money = frustration = eating = dieting and around and around we go.

It's a vicious cycle

In all seriousness though, I am going to tighten down the bolts and clean the engine this week, try to save money and follow my Paleo diet. Before anyone knows it I'll be a hot rockin', nose pickin', finger lickin' financier babe lugging a wrench and knocking em all dead

Men.. can't live with them.. erm.. I forget the rest

Originally Posted by Offroad
what an unbeliever ...............we all have every faith in you Christina "
Thank you Offroad - it warms the cockles of my heart to hear that somebody does I'll do my best.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil Odor