Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry Buyer Beware

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I bought a 2004 SE with 50,000 miles with what the seller stated was an "extended" warranty from land rover that was fully transferrable. At the bill of sale signing, I also filled out a warranty transfer document which the previous owner also signed and submitted to an Atlanta dealership. I hadn't heard anything from Land Rover regarding the transfer so I contacted Land Rover North America and they informed me there is no registered extended warranty. I contacted the previous owner who said that he would check on it and that Land Rover sold him the additional warranty. I have it written in the bill of sale that a warranty will be provided to me by January 31st which obviously has not happened. While I am waiting to hear something from the previous owner should I send a certified letter or something to the previous owner? Sorry to bother you with this but I want to cover all the bases. Thanks,

Last edited by willrok13; 07-22-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Do everything in writing with the old owner.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah a certified letter would be a good idea. This will probably have to be resolved in court and having everything documented will improve your case.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with all of the above. Phone calls won't hold up in court. If it comes to that bring all of your phone records.

Most extended warranties are written by other companies, and LRNA doesn't have records. My brother got an extended warranty on his new Camry from the dealer and The company has nothing to do with Toyota. That said, want to buy a Camry?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
I agree with all of the above. Phone calls won't hold up in court. If it comes to that bring all of your phone records.

Most extended warranties are written by other companies, and LRNA doesn't have records. My brother got an extended warranty on his new Camry from the dealer and The company has nothing to do with Toyota. That said, want to buy a Camry?
I'm with ok on this one, prob a aftermarket type warranty,

Old 03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Winching

A LRNA Rep advised me of the fact that the extended warranty could be through a contractor, APCO, they have no record either. I feel as though I m about to get royally screwed, but I am up for the fight. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Why are you so worried about having an extended warranty? It's not like our trucks ever have problems...

Good luck!
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Winching

Riiight... Yeah, I figure I have already voided it anyway by doing all the maintenance myself. Wouldn't that have to be done by an approved mechanic? Mine has already gotten the DiscoMike 60K treatment. I sent the previous owner a certified letter today outlining exactly what he has not followed through on. Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Kyle --

In general, automakers cannot deny warranties due to work you've performed as long as you're using OEM-equivalent parts. There's legal precedent for this (I forgot that name of the case) that stems back to when car manufacturers were trying to deny warranties because customers put it aftermarket car stereos or went to independent mechanics. So, unless you've installed a hidden nitrous oxide system or something similar, you should be ok on that front

As an out-of-warranty 2003 owner, I say "keep up the fight." It's not worth it for the little stuff, but if you have to replace a transfer case (like I did) or something else with a 4-figure price tag you'll be glad you did.

Good luck!
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Winching

Great advice. That is exactly what I am trying to safeguard against. My girlfriends father is an attorney and I spoke with him about all of this. His impression is that I should be refunded the value of the warranty plus damages at the very least. I didn't want to get him involved for obvious reasons but I think it is necessary at this point. Anyone know what a Discovery II factory warranty is worth, ballpark?

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware