Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer Beware

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
Kyle --

In general, automakers cannot deny warranties due to work you've performed as long as you're using OEM-equivalent parts. There's legal precedent for this (I forgot that name of the case) that stems back to when car manufacturers were trying to deny warranties because customers put it aftermarket car stereos or went to independent mechanics. So, unless you've installed a hidden nitrous oxide system or something similar, you should be ok on that front

As an out-of-warranty 2003 owner, I say "keep up the fight." It's not worth it for the little stuff, but if you have to replace a transfer case (like I did) or something else with a 4-figure price tag you'll be glad you did.

Good luck!
RedAustinIX (Ed)
Thanks for the info! How much leeway is there in what is considered OEM equivalent? Would a Tom Woods Driveshaft qualify? That is next on my punch list of to-do's.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depends on the coverage and the deductible

I would say a low end would be 800, and a high end would be 25-3500.
With an average around 1500

Old 03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
That said, want to buy a Camry?
We all know that's a smart idea...but you know we won't!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by willrok13
Thanks for the info! How much leeway is there in what is considered OEM equivalent? Would a Tom Woods Driveshaft qualify? That is next on my punch list of to-do's.
Kyle, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't read the ruling details so I'm not sure if/how they specified "OEM equivalent." That said, I would imagine they left it open to interpretation. For example, since the TW driveshaft is heavier than stock, they could try to argue that it led to premature wear on transmission. Generally the big issue here really is whether or not you have the extended warranty. Get past that hurdle and then you can worry about what they will/won't cover.

In general, I wouldn't worry about the OEM parts thing too much -- it's more for people that want to significantly modify/abuse their cars. My other car is a Lancer Evolution, and lots of people were boosting their engines to 600+ BHP and drag racing them, then taking them to Mitsubishi for warranty repair when their clutches and/or differentials failed.... Clearly this is a case of the customer taking advantage of the manufacturer, and Mitsubishi soon put an end to it.

Good luck!
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

04 DII 72mo/85K exclusionary extended warranty was 2,678.

Just used for the first time..

-new valve cover gaskets
-replacement coils
-replacement lighting control module