Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye,bye K&N

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bye,bye K&N

Gents, for a while, I had been ignoring all the bad publicity that the K&N air filter was getting. NO,No, nothing went wrongI just decided to re-install the stock air filter for experience sake. I was thinking that if I could prove to myself that the K&N would at least give me1 mile per gallon, even if it killed my maf once a year, I would still be saving more money in gas than the price of a maf. so what the heck.....

But what I found was somewhat surprising. I actually get better mileage without the K&N[&:]All right, we're not talking a lot more, but at leasta full 1/2mile per gallon! based on 3 tankfulls.

I did however, found that the power increase( kickdown) that I had noticedwhen flooring the vehicle to pass on the highway, was gone[:'(]. But hey, I'm a prudent driver and prefer the right lane anyway

FYI

Darover

Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Default RE: Bye,bye K&N

You are dead to me!!....LOL!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is some flaw or error in this non-scientific test. Did you have a heat shield to protect the filter from the engine compartment? Were you driving differently with the K&N filter? Some people put their right foot down further when they have more power, that can drink more gas really quickly.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more importantly; was your water intake higher with the K&N? That could explain the fast driving (trying to get to a restroom). Also, wearing a blue blazer will give you more wind resistance, meaning less MPG!

-Just playing guys! I say, personal preference. But since the factory didn't use an oiled filter, I'm not going to. I'm old school like that.

-ugly

Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I never claimed that this was a scientific test. I however, have been carefull with the gas pedal for a long time. If one thing, I wanted the K&N to be better to justify keeping it in. But as said, 3 tankfulls later, I found that I got better mileage without the K&N. So since a lot of people claim to have had problems with the K&N, and I see absolutely no mileage gains with it ( actually a drop, but let's call it no gain!!) I see no reason to justify putting it back in. Except that kickdown that I had noticed.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Newfoundlandrover

Hey newf, you're alive!!! You wanted me to let you know when my new rad would be on, but your profile won't allow me to send you private messages. You should fix that

Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Newfoundlandrover

I almost hit the floor . Another one down......

Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 PM

Darover,
You can always shoot me an emailoyster68@rogers.com if you want. Looks like my PM setup is all buggered up(you are still dead to me!)

Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 PM

You're just eat'in this up aren't you okdiscoguy! LOL!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not really. I wish stuff like that worked. I would rather have an option of an upgrade than something that may hurt the truck.

Quick Reply: Bye,bye K&N