Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Charging Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C Charging Question

Okay, so i know that Disco II's take 25oz of freon and 6oz of oil from dry, but mine seems to be taking a lot more.

Anywho, one of my lines broke, so i replaced it, then replaced all of my seals, vacuumed out my system, yada yada. So i put 6oz of oil in her, and 32oz of freon, and the low-pressure side is still giving me about 32psi. The compressor is engauged, and the condensor fan does turn on with the a/c. I get cold air, but it isn't that cold.

Has anyone ever recharged one of these bad-boys? And if so, how much freon did it take?

Oh i forgot to mention, the freon i use has flourescent dye mixed in the can, and I haven't found leaks of any kind. I don't hear hissing from the system either. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I refill mine until it no longer takes a charge.
Let me clarify, I have DIY recharged many a a/c system, just never on my truck and they all took what they needed.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I refilled my refrigerant from evacuated I added 36 ounces and a few ounces of oil. Not to start an argument with Spike but if you fill your system until it stops taking in r134a you will be seriously overfilled and probably will trip your pressure relief valve. Low and High side pressure are not really the best way to figure out if your system is full or not. Unfortunately it is all we have as DIYers. The way most pros do it is weigh how much they removed and add back that much by weight. If it was a leak or something they would have to find out how much the manufacturer specifies or just guestimate.

Last edited by lipadj46; 07-22-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 PM
TReK

Mine needed to be recharged badly. On 90*+ day my A/C was just about worthless. I got a reading of just under 15 before recharging and I added full 30 oz can of refrigerant and I got a reading of about 40 from that. If I remember correctly 45 was where mine needed to be at, so I was pretty close with 30 oz. Yours may have been very low so having to put in that much may not be that out of ordinary.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 AM
TReK

Temperature affects the pressure too don't forget. You will get different pressures in winter than in the summer with the same amount of refrigerant.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Let me clarify, I have DIY recharged many a a/c system, just never on my truck and they all took what they needed.
This is a seriously bad practice, and is likely to blow evaporators and high pressure lines in things without high pressure cut offs.

Seriously. No one do this. Ever.

Spike, you seem to have a lot of good advice. But you obviously don't know refrigeration.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you search google, you can find a chart showing low/high side pressures depending on outside air temps. Also, don't over oil charge. That will also affect the efficiency of the system. Did you replace the drier when you had the system open?

Eric

Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
This is a seriously bad practice, and is likely to blow evaporators and high pressure lines in things without high pressure cut offs.

Spike, you seem to have a lot of good advice. But you obviously don't know refrigeration.
Sure I do, turn it on and it gets cold, turn it off and it doesnt.
I am talking about a DIY recharge kit so the system just sucks in whatever it needs.
When it stops sucking it is full.
Been doing that this way for 20 years and it has not let me down yet.

*Proceed at your own risk, all info is deemed correct unless otherwise incorrect in which case it is not correct and is then wrong, either may be the case.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SDinDS
If you search google, you can find a chart showing low/high side pressures depending on outside air temps. Also, don't over oil charge. That will also affect the efficiency of the system. Did you replace the drier when you had the system open?

Eric
Thanks Eric, I will do a search on google for the pressures. I was unaware of the over-oiling. I put in 6oz which is what it called for. However, I'm glad to know this because I was tempted to add more oil to it (i'm glad i didn't )

I didin't replace the drier, should have I? This is my first "non-beater" vehicle, so i'm learning new stuff every day

Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
That's what I did on my '85 Cavalier. I wasn't sure if Discovery's were different because....well they're made by Land Rover, what isn't different?

Quick Reply: A/C Charging Question