Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all engine rebuilding experts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calling all engine rebuilding experts!!!

2004 Land Rover Discovery 4.6 short block

Does this make sense...I want to learn how to work on an engine, really work on one. Thought it would make sense to work on a donor rather than one in a perfectly (for LR standards) working vehicle. Would having top hats installed (professionally) and then rebuilding this myself make any logical sense?? What kind of major costs would I be looking at? Oil pump, timing belt etc. Would this mesh with an 01 Disco or would more cost be incurred adapting? Please tell me if this is crazy.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are asking if a 4.6 can go in a 99-02 D2 then the answer is yes. I believe all you need to do is have the computer reprogramed for the 4.6 and everything else is plug and play.

It totally makes sense to start working on a donor engine that is out of the truck. I have been looking for a cheap engine to do the same thing. My theory is this: It would be really hard for me to afford a new $6k top hatted engine if my current engine suddenly went out. If I buy a used engine I can slowly rebuild it over a year or so and even if it cost me the same $6K, at least it didn't hit my wallet all at once.

There are some things that you are better off letting a machine shop do. They of course will need to install the new liners for you and while they have it you might as well take them the new pistons to install. You can probably get away with reusing the crank shaft but I would for sure buy a new cam shaft.

Last edited by Jared9220; 02-05-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't know where you are going to buy your new parts for the rebuild, but this is where I'm going to buy stuff when I get around to doing this. You can get everything from liners to pistons to crank and cam shafts to bearings,.... you name it, here: 4.6V8 range rover engine parts, pistons, bearing set

Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling

I just got my TopHat block back from the machine shop today, and looks awesome! Like the post before have them install and fit the pistons. I got the liners from the link above as well. The machine shop said install was a snap but had to hone out .007 to fit the pistons which was not enough to bore out, but a pain to hone that much. He also said these liners will most likely out last 3-4 sets of pistons and rings and even then just need a light hone, should last forever. I also had him fit the pistons with new rings and bearings and install, and install cam bearings, polish the crank and install the crank with new bearings. All machine work with everything other than the liners cost me $2000. So with the liners $2800. Now I can assemble the rest and know that the hard important work of installing the bearings and pistons is done right!!!
This to me is way better that dishing $6000 for somebody's store bought engine all at once.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Mudding

Awesome! Thanks guys. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Keep it coming! Overseas site is great, probably the way to go for parts. Just emailed the CL poster.

Grover, did you have a separate engine that you had rebuilt or was it the one in your truck?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Three Wheeling

The engine I rebuild was the one out of the truck. Not my daily driver, just something fun! BTW mine is a 4.0L. $200 for a camshaft from Crower cams, they say is should add a few horses as well.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Also had my heads redone this past summer at a head shop for $700. Full valve job, decked and checked over. I will post some pics in the coming days when I start assembly.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by GROVERDISCO
Also had my heads redone this past summer at a head shop for $700. Full valve job, decked and checked over. I will post some pics in the coming days when I start assembly.
$700 seems a bit high. What all was done in that valve job besides new valve seals?

It cost me $170 to have both heads cleaned, checked out, decked, and valve seals put in.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Three Wheeling

3 angle valve job and all that jazz.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Rebuilding a separate engine over time while you drive the vehicle can work out well provided the truck is still around when you get it finished. A buddy of mine built a 5.0 motor for his mustang but it got totaled by someone who blew through a stop sign before he was able to install it. I had a 302 in an f150 that burned a piston at about the same time so it ended up in my truck!

Quick Reply: Calling all engine rebuilding experts!!!