Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I beef up a 4.0 for more speed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I beef up a 4.0 for more speed?

Well a 1999 disco has found me but I live in Idaho one lane roads with larg rivers on one side you need the speed to pass, the guys who like to drive 40 mph! So I have been googling arround and I found a site called " autodirectsave.com" and ther arefew things that might help with the hp?
has any one tryed this befor and how did it work score it 1-10!
#1 E-ram supercharger
#2 Borla exhoust
#3 DUI / Performance Distributore with wires and setting you nspark plug gap at .05 I think that what they recommend

Are ther any others that you guys have tryed that work or dont?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Can I beef up a 4.0 for more speed?

No body has had much success with super chargers, tend to cause a lean burn and eat up pistons.
Borla's don't do much for their cost and you can't change out the coil packs, no high performance ones out there.
How many miles on your engine, what is your altitude and what octane gas are you using?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Three Wheeling

When I say a 1999 has found me I ment that I might buy it but is 85,000 miles and my altitude is 4000 ft and I will only us good gass! sorry for the confusion!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

No body has had much success with super chargers, tend to cause a lean burn and eat up pistons.
Borla's don't do much for their cost and you can't change out the coil packs, no high performance ones out there.
How many miles on your engine, what is your altitude and what octane gas are you using?
Well, the supercharger comment is sort of right. The one people were selling for it is the Eaton M90 but the boost plenum for an M90 is nowhere near large enough and is positioned over only the front 4 cyl. This was causing the front to get too much boost and the back to get not enough, so when the ECU compensated the rears went lean and caused the burn-out. People have supercharged rover engines properly, just like they've put DOHC heads on them, but none of the ones I've seen available lately have been suitable for just bolting onto a Land Rover V8.

All the upgrade options appear to be very expensive. Expect to spend $10-15K to get some real power. If you're happy with another 30hp, which would be about 17hp at the wheels (damned inefficient driveline) then you could go with performance heads alone for about $2K on top of your next head gasket change.

Unless you're an engine builder yourself, it'll be expensive. Though in the end just picking up a 4.6L short block and some performance heads would do a lot fairly cheaply, especially if you're able to do the work yourself. Or bore those out and put in 4.8L tophat liners.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:54 PM
ajh
Winching

OK, I just read what an E-Ram is... if you're asking that question you probably should leave the engine alone for now, do more research and perhaps read a few books on engine basics.

Your other option is to hire someone to do it, if you want to go that route the only builder I've heard good things about in North America is D&D performance. Alternatively you can order a full engine from someone in the UK who has experience with this, but in the end if you're looking to get more power and don't have at least $10-15K to spend, just stick with what you have. Magic gadgets do not work.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can swap the block for a 4.6. That should get you a good boost for under $4k.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you thought about chipping the ECU?
Bottom line is that these trks are not meant for speed, they were designed to crawl through the jungle.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Mudding

Hey Badbuzzzzzz, what part of Idaho? I'm in the treasure valley. I don't have much trouble getting around up and down the hills even pulling my trailer. Good plugs and wires have made a huge difference in both of my Discos. I personally wouldn't change a thing, but I'm a patient person too. I have learned to gear down when I need to get around some one, especially when I'm messing around in the mountains pulling my trailer.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Mudding

I would be a patent person if my cruise control worked (unfortuanlly the light comes on but it doesn't engage when i press set) So either theres a leak (which i read on here is common) or the switch on my break is bad, which is very hard for me to find

Old 01-31-2008, 08:57 AM
TReK

I put a Magnaflow muffler on and just pipe out and it made
to much noise so I had the OEM rear pipe put back on after
the Magnaflow.
I also seemed to lack low end toque with out the resonator.
I could not tell if I gotany morepower.

I have had my Disco chiped and it worked great until the
area I live in had to go to 10% Ethanol then it was less MPG's with the chip (I have had my OEM chip back in and MPG's are back up from 11 in town to 12.5).
The OEM chip is much more forgiving of bad fuel.

You may want to look at www.v8engines.com/

Quick Reply: Can I beef up a 4.0 for more speed?