Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I wire Brush Guard lights to the factory fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Can I wire Brush Guard lights to the factory fog lights?

I have a 2000 DII with the factory fog lights on the bottom of the front bumper. My truck came to me with a factory brush guard with what may or may not be factory lights installed. The lights on the brush guard have the male end wires hanging off and I was trying to figure out a way to connect them to the factory fog lamps and have them work from the factory installed switch. I realize that there would be a power deficiency with all four bulbs going at once but I was wondering if anyone had tried this?

Old 02-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it would be a fire hazard as you would overload the wiring with 4 lamps + the factory fogs are controlled by the BCU (body control unit) so the switch will not work for the spots on the brush guard.

Just wire them up with a standard 4 pin automotive relay and have them come on with full beam and flash (as they are supposed to)

Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on using the relay. I don't have fogs, so I got a switch and have the option of turning on 2 of the 4 on my brush guard with low beams. I still used a relay for them just because I don't want to load the factory wiring. The other 2 spots come on with the high beams through a relay as well.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey Urban, i didn't see a sticky for this. Could you give me a better idea of the process that you described in your post? Thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

see his website in his signature

Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres a basic spotlight wiring diagram for wiring up 2 standard 55w spots, if you increase the wattage, then you have to uprate the wiring / fuse.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Dang! Ive looked everywhere on many different forums but why is it so hard to find a smile circuit like this one but for 4 x 55w lights? I low how to wire it but dangit if no one at ALL covers it... I saw some very unnecessarily complicated setups and this is a simple circuit but can I use the relay that came with the Hella 55wx 2 lights 700FF system but wire it for 4 lights? or do I need get a different relay and different gauge wiring? dang Id think with as many 4 lights that I see on Vehicles, I could goto ebay and buy a generic 4 light wiring kit! lol

I already have a nice cruise control switch for my D2 Im going to wire but not hoping to burn down disco lol

Old 12-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Whether or not the relay from your Hella lamps will be suitable depends upon a) the current rating of the relay and b) the power rating (watts) of the lamps you're fitting.

For example, if you have 4x55W lamps that is a total of 220Watts. On a 12v system that is 18.3 Amps.

I suspect that the relay will be rated at at least 20A (it should say on it) but I would be tempted to go for a bit of overkill and use a minimum of a 30A relay.

The following users liked this post:
dparham (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
Whether or not the relay from your Hella lamps will be suitable depends upon a) the current rating of the relay and b) the power rating (watts) of the lamps you're fitting.

For example, if you have 4x55W lamps that is a total of 220Watts. On a 12v system that is 18.3 Amps.

I suspect that the relay will be rated at at least 20A (it should say on it) but I would be tempted to go for a bit of overkill and use a minimum of a 30A relay.
ahhh nice! ok that is easy enough! I was going nuts.. mostly because i don't know what the hellas were but Ill look closer... seems to me it would be something everyone would talk about lol

Old 12-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Winching

is it possible for one switch to trigger 2 relays wired in? that way 1 relay per 2 lights but all 4 would be activated by the same switch... that way if a relay went out Id know which one by what lights go out lol plus I won't have to buy anything else! hahaha

Quick Reply: Can I wire Brush Guard lights to the factory fog lights?