Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Can rear A/C be added fairly easily? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/can-rear-c-added-fairly-easily-52809/)

Joshman 09-17-2012 12:18 PM

Can rear A/C be added fairly easily?

Searched the forum, couldn't find any posts on it. We have 5 kids, so I am trying to add rear seats, and thought it might get warm back there. Has anyone added rear AC? Could I retrofit with stuff from a junkyard donor?

grandkodiak 09-17-2012 12:27 PM

You could just tape up some pvc from one of the existing rear vents and have it go to the trunk area.

Disco Mike 09-17-2012 12:27 PM

Yes, it can be retrofitted from a donor as long and you can find one with the same interior color so you finish with all the same color on the interior.
How mechanical are you?
If you want some help with tracking down some parts, get back to me.

Joshman 09-17-2012 12:31 PM

I have no vents in the rear at all, so I would be adding to the second AND third row (I think). I haven't been able to find good images of where rear AC is located on trucks so equipped.

drowssap 09-17-2012 01:25 PM

yes; it can but not easly you would need to have a complete donor vechicle.
you have duct work and controls above the head liner, you have ducts in the head liner, the rear evaporator and blower mount in the rear drivers side behind the jump seat, (which is different than a regular jump seat panel), then you have to marry the refrigeration lines into the main AC system. You can do it but it will be a lot of work.

Joshman 09-17-2012 05:08 PM

Sounds like more than I want to tackle for now. Thanks guys.

coors 09-17-2012 05:43 PM

There's more than just running duct lines and mounting a blower motor. If you're not in tune w/ the fundamentals of the automotive refrigeration system I would say leave this one to the pros. You run the risk of damaging your A/C system.

But, if you're confident enough to tackle the project, more power to ya. I believe if you search a little further there are a couple threads on here where the retro has been discussed. If you run into any issues you can always come back here. We'll help.

badassbmwm3 07-27-2015 04:13 PM

Wiring?

Are all trucks pre-wired for the above controls and blower and all back there?

OffroadFrance 07-27-2015 04:26 PM

Can rear A/C be added fairly easily?

The short answer is no. Unless you have a complete rear A/C donor truck and be prepared to strip out much of the interior of both your own and the donor truck and install the rear drivers side kit and trim plus the vents, rear ducts and controls in the rear two rows of seats and the wiring which may or may not be there already it is doable but is it worth it on an old D2 truck? Mine has full A/C climate control front and rear to all three seat rows (7 seater) and it's rarely used in the rear seats apart from on excessively hot days. Depends how mechanical you are and whether you desperately want/need rear A/C.

OffroadFrance 07-27-2015 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 344939)
yes; it can but not easly you would need to have a complete donor vechicle.
you have duct work and controls above the head liner, you have ducts in the head liner, the rear evaporator and blower mount in the rear drivers side behind the jump seat, (which is different than a regular jump seat panel), then you have to marry the refrigeration lines into the main AC system. You can do it but it will be a lot of work.

X1 maybe 3-5 full days of work plus an A/C recharge assuming the wiring is there already. It would be easier to buy another truck with rear seats and rear A/C IMO. Rear A/C trucks obviously hold more fridge gas and oil.

PS sorry to be a downer but it's a fact.